PDA

View Full Version : DSG unwilling to change up

PhilDon
23-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Used S mode for a change today - and it seemed to be holding onto lower gears for ages. It didn't want to move out of 3 at 40mph and even on a very light throttle pressure I couldn't get it to change up from 4 to 5 even at 50 mph. Shifting back into D resulted into an instant 5 followed almost immediately by 6.
Please don't tell me that this is indicative of the (non existant according to VW) issue with the DSG ?

slowhand
23-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I thought this is what sport mode should do, it will not change up till you are almost on the red line. I don't have DSG so I can't confirm this.

Will it change up if you pull the up shift paddle?

Keithuk
23-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I thought this is what sport mode should do, it will not change up till you are almost on the red line.
I don't have DSG either but I would have thought that. The videos on YouTube show DSG in S mode and they don't go anywhere near the red line but they change up. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbmr_cwM0iw

Guest 2
23-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Sport mode holds the gear for longer than ordinary Drive for a more sporty driving experience :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilDon
23-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys - I'm aware that S has these characteristics, but it just seemed exaggerated today.
Even when I was trying to force an upshift (backing off the accelerator & going downhill) it seemed determined not to change up
Maybe I'm just paranoid :o

Gerryf
23-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Your Sport mode is behaving exactly as intended PhilDon....excellent if you want to power out of corners.

I rarely use Sport mode because I'm always traffic bound but I'm looking forward to having a play on country lanes, it's also useful when going down steep slopes as opposed to free wheeling in drive whilst off the throttle.

PhilDon
23-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Your Sport mode is behaving exactly as intended PhilDon....excellent if you want to power out of corners.

I rarely use Sport mode because I'm always traffic bound but I'm looking forward to having a play on country lanes, it's also useful when going down steep slopes as opposed to free wheeling in drive whilst off the throttle.

Cheers again
It's great for all of that ( & I used it in France in the summer when to get a better response when moving off roundabouts etc)
it just seemed a bit weird that I couldn't get it to change into top (ie 5th) gear when effectively cruising - never mind - as long as it ain't broke !

Gerryf
23-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I used to run an up to date regular (torque converter) petrol auto which had a Sport mode.....flat out acceleration meant it didn't shift up to top gear until you hit 110mph....so I'm told....lol.....I expect your car isn't much different albeit diesel maps may differ slightly to petrol DSG versions.

Vincent Vega
23-10-2010, 08:18 PM
When I put my Mark V DSG (2.0 TDI) into Sport, it wouldn't shift until the red line. It seemed rather... excessive, but it was great fun!

I don't think I ever got it to go into sixth gear whilst in Sport.

PhilDon
23-10-2010, 08:44 PM
When I put my Mark V DSG (2.0 TDI) into Sport, it wouldn't shift until the red line. It seemed rather... excessive, but it was great fun!

I don't think I ever got it to go into sixth gear whilst in Sport.

cheers Vincent

I don't think there is a 6th in sport - my concern was I couldn't get it into 5th - it did eventually but not until well over 50mph and even then only briefly -
then again maybe there is a 6th - it's just that I've never gone that fast :cool:

Gerryf
24-10-2010, 04:33 PM
6th is hiding but it'll cost your licence to see it in Sport....lol

I love the DSG box but like every auto/semi auto.....it can be fooled.

As a matter of interest......under moderate acceleration in the diesel models
What rpm does it change up at ?

I rarely exceed 2000 rpm in the petrol model.....the mpg's are quite impressive but they plummet if I give it "what for".

Keithuk
24-10-2010, 04:50 PM
TSI 1.4 S bogtrotter model with mahogany gaspipes
What are mahogany gaspipes Gerry?

Gerryf
24-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Just my quaint way of describing the chrome exhaust tips Keith.....haven't got much else to include in my signature.....I was tempted to add electric window in my signature....lol

I dream about all the extras but I don't particularly need 'em but it's nice to dream whilst awake :D

PhilDon
28-10-2010, 09:13 PM
6th is hiding but it'll cost your licence to see it in Sport....lol

I love the DSG box but like every auto/semi auto.....it can be fooled.

As a matter of interest......under moderate acceleration in the diesel models
What rpm does it change up at ?

I rarely exceed 2000 rpm in the petrol model.....the mpg's are quite impressive but they plummet if I give it "what for".

Update - just spent a couple of days in the north yorkshire dales - including A, B and Z roads !

first of all I have to say that I found S mode ideal for the driving conditions - much more like the feeling of being in a manual and always in the right gear to be ready for what comes next
somehow D seems a bit mushy & remote in these conditions

getting the know the gearbox was useful - in a nutshell I established that under gentle acceleration S mode holds a lower gear till 3000 rpm before changing up (between 55 & 60mph to go from 4 to 5), but will then retain that gear until revs drop back to 2000 at which point it changes down again

flooring it on the other hand was much more straight forward - up changes happen at the red line - 5000rpm

Gerryf
30-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Sounds like the DSG mated to a torquey diesel is the ideal tool for challenging hilly conditions PhilDon :)

PhilDon
30-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Sounds like the DSG mated to a torquey diesel is the ideal tool for challenging hilly conditions PhilDon :)

couldn't agree more Gerry - showed the car in a whole new light
(Mon - Fri it's normally the wife's commuting trolley) and while it's completely effortless to drive you occasionally feel slightly detached in D

Gerryf
30-10-2010, 06:57 PM
You have me sitting here dreaming about Country lanes and hilly terrain PhiDdon......I've covered 1,200 miles but never encountered any challenging roads....I gotta get out of London man :biglaugh:.

Berisford
30-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I had a play with my 'sport' option yesterday along a 15 mile twisty 'A' road. There was no way I could have gone fast enough to get into 7th, I only saw 6th a few times! :D

PhilDon
31-10-2010, 10:31 AM
....I gotta get out of London man :biglaugh:.

I'd recommend it !!:beerchug:

Rennie Mc/r
03-11-2010, 06:23 PM
My 2.0 TDI GT DSG changes up to 6th passing 80 when in S mode & surprised me by going back down to 5th when speed dropped to just under 80. Yes, I know.... but it was fun!