PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke + lack of power - help please

bag320
21-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi, i have a real big problem with my A6 Avant 1.8 T SE. I serviced it yesterday as it wasnt running right, felt rough and had no power for maybe the past week.
I serviced it no problems, and it started much better, today i got in it to take my daughter to school and i had a shock to see nothing but bellows of blue smoke out the exhust, i thought it may have been just where i spilt oil but then it didnt go away so i know there is something deeply wrong but anyone got any cheap ideas as to what haas gone and how i can fix it on a very tight budget.
:aargh4:
Any ideas will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

STEWY L
21-10-2010, 05:28 PM
you have either over filled the engine oil, or it looks like the turbo is passing oil,unfortunately,
regards,
stewy.

bag320
24-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Well, yeah,
I had put oil into it because i checked it and the dip showed it to be empty so i topped it up and a day latter found it to be too much ooil??? puzzled me so that was what prompted me to do the service, but i was sure to only put 3.5 ltrs back.

When i was draining the oil, i took the spark plugs out and there was oil around the 1 and 4th cylender. When i put the spark plug remover in it came back out caped in ooil, 2 and 3 was ok.

Could it be a simple run it till it burns excess off or have i now fubar ed my turbo by doing that???

Thank

STEWY L
24-10-2010, 10:11 PM
run it until the exhaust burns off.
oil on the outside of your plug socket would suggest a
cam cover/ rocker box leak,easily cured with a new gasket,
oil on the internals of the plug suggests you have overfilled it,
or the rings are goosed,which i doubt as it seems the smoke only came on
after you had "serviced" it,
regards,
stewy.

bag320
26-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi,
Thanks - I have brought a rocker cover gasket, i shall fit it asap. I have a query. I can see that the gasket could be FUBAR ed and leaking oil, but what about the lack of power? how does it all sit in with each other?

I will fit the gasket anyway but im not sure about how this will cure the lacking of power when i put my foot on the accelerator?

Any ideas on this one please.

Thanks in advance....

STEWY L
26-10-2010, 10:24 PM
if you overfilled the engine oil,the spark plugs may have oiled up,
and so won't spark so well,but it could be a sensor unit being affected from oil
in the inlet side possibly,
regards,
stewy.

bag320
28-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for your input,

I have changed the rocker gasket and let it run, it seemed to clear so i ran it round the corner, didnt even get to the end of my close before it spat out loads of smoke and i was back to square 1.

So i guess there is something more serious wrong with it.

Im going to have to sell it for a lot less than its worth i think.

Thanks again.

Rhys

bag320
30-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Stwey,

I have changed the rocker gasket, and no difference, so it must be the turbo.

I have now got a replacement turbo and i was wondering if you knew how hard they are to change or get to?
Roughly how long it will take me to get it out and the replacment in?

Thanks pal.

Regards