PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Calling all Mk3 experts - electric window help needed

Alfonzo
20-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi All,

Mk III, 1.8 8v, 5 door, 1994.

The rear passenger side electric window has failed. I've had the door card off and a bit of a poke around. The failure stems from the 'saddle' that supports the window having broken where it attaches to the cable of the electric window lifter mechanism.

I need to get my hands on a new 'saddle'. Anyone know what this part is called & part number. Anyone got one they want to sell, or know where to go to find one?

Cheers all :beerchug:.

SammoVWT
21-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Euro car parts sell these.

I cant remember if the regulators come with all the harnesses etc. But they are definately available there.

Alfonzo
21-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Cheers Sammo, I'll have a look. I know you can buy complete lifter mechanisms on ebay etc, but was hoping to avoid the £50 and just get the support 'saddle' thingy.

If I spend £50 on the car, I'll have doubled its value :D

SammoVWT
21-10-2010, 11:38 AM
No worries, i know the feeling mate :P

bigdaddytype3
26-11-2010, 12:07 AM
i also have this problem but on the drivers side rear so any help would be great

Alfonzo
26-11-2010, 09:14 AM
I ended up buying a complete lifter mechanism from a Scrappy. Cost £25. I never found out if you can buy the 'saddle' seperately, I suspect not.

bigdaddytype3
26-11-2010, 09:50 PM
i thought this would be the case, is a major job to do? just worried about breaking the glass

Alfonzo
28-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I've known far worse jobs, but it does require a good couple of hours. Remove the door inner trim (couple of hidden screws within the handle trim itself). I found it difficult to seperate the trim from the inner window edge trim along the top side, but I may have been unlucky or just didn't spend long enough studying it properly. Anyway, big pull and it all came apart in a fashion. Then remove the inner black foam liner. Mine ripped, but not really a problem. Think I then undone the door handle (single screw). Now you can see the lifter mech. It is secured to the door by three bolts (10mm socket / spanner). Before undoing it though, use a torch and have a good look around. If you activate the switch you should be able to see the saddle move up and down, or if the saddle has come away from the wire then you'll hear the wire moving under power from the motor. Manuever the saddle into a position where you can undo the two clamping bolts that free it from the window glass. You probably want to secure the window in the fully up position (tape it in place or jam something into the frame to prevent it dropping). With the saddle undone, and the three bolts loose, and the electrical connector removed (push it from one end, don't just pull it away) you should be able to remove the complete unit and replace. Then try and screw the whole bloody show back together. Don't forget to re-connect the speaker unlike me, who sure isn't going to take it apart again. :D BE CAREFUL when activating the electric window if your fingers are inside the gubbins, I reckon you could do yourself a nasty if not careful. Hope that helps.