PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Heater problem

Mark Sommers
20-10-2010, 10:20 AM
The heating on the drivers side of my A4 Avant 2.0TDi (2005) has stopped working and only cold air is blowing from the vents. It's still working on the passenger side. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I'd really appreciate some ideas on it as I'm living in Finland and the winter is starting to kick in so I need to do something about it soon.

Crasher
20-10-2010, 10:39 AM
You need a fault code scan of the heating system which will show that a heater flap motor has failed and these are reasonably easy to replace, well they are on a right hand drive car but a little more difficult on left hand drive.

nevo
20-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Are you driving a left hooker or a irish r/h drive?I would imagine a scan in finland will cost you a arm and a leg, should be possible to fix without, save your precious Krona or what ever they use up there,as crasher says depending which side the pedals are makes the job more awkward,report back soon or your nuts will fall off(not the ones on the car).

Crasher
20-10-2010, 01:13 PM
If a flap motor is faulty it has to be set up in basic settings using a diagnostic computer or the new one can be stressed.

asrpaint
20-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Make sure the connector to the motor is on properly as this is what was wrong with mine on the drivers side

Mark Sommers
22-10-2010, 11:59 AM
You need a fault code scan of the heating system which will show that a heater flap motor has failed and these are reasonably easy to replace, well they are on a right hand drive car but a little more difficult on left hand drive.

Thanks Crasher. Fortunately I'm driving a right hander. I'll take the car to the nearest Audi centre and have them do a fault code scan on it.

Mark Sommers
22-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Are you driving a left hooker or a irish r/h drive?I would imagine a scan in finland will cost you a arm and a leg, should be possible to fix without, save your precious Krona or what ever they use up there,as crasher says depending which side the pedals are makes the job more awkward,report back soon or your nuts will fall off(not the ones on the car).

Thanks for the reply Nevo. Luckily enough I'm driving a right hooker, which I brought here all the way from Ireland. You're right about the nuts dropping off, (Not that mine have... well at least the girlfriend hasn't mentioned anything yet!) It was -6 this morning when I got into the car so you certainly do need the ould long johns in this neck of the woods, especially when your bloody heater has croaked. Do you think it's possible to fix without going to an Audi centre with a suitcase full of Euros (The Swedes use Krona).

Mark Sommers
22-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Make sure the connector to the motor is on properly as this is what was wrong with mine on the drivers side

Thanks asrpaint. Sorry for asking what may be a stupid question - I'm not very 'advanced' with my mechanical knowledge - where do I locate this connector?

nevo
22-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Probably yes,up above the clutch pedal on the side of the heater unit you'll see a yellow lever with a small motor attached remove the motor and operate the lever,you should get heat out,if you do its usually just sticking inside the motor and with a bit of lubrication will free-up,as long as the motor and potentiometer(which tells the ecu what position the levers at )are ok,should be good to go,or you could leave it hanging on the wires till you get back to the R O I,dont suppose you'll need that shut off till next june in Finland.

Mark Sommers
22-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Probably yes,up above the clutch pedal on the side of the heater unit you'll see a yellow lever with a small motor attached remove the motor and operate the lever,you should get heat out,if you do its usually just sticking inside the motor and with a bit of lubrication will free-up,as long as the motor and potentiometer(which tells the ecu what position the levers at )are ok,should be good to go,or you could leave it hanging on the wires till you get back to the R O I,dont suppose you'll need that shut off till next june in Finland.

I'm not so good with this sort of stuff but I'll give it a try in the morning. Fingers crossed I get it sorted. Thanks again for your help.