PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade of Radio

DanTheKeyMan
19-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Just looking to order my new CC.
I don't think the Standard satnav is any good so I am deciding to upgrade.

It is either the 10 speaker system or just standard 510 sat nav. Or even both but as Sat navs come on phones as there any reason for a SatNav on the car. Plus updating is costly.

Whats your thoughts. Is the original sound any good?

johnloaderuk
19-10-2010, 10:13 PM
How much do you really need sat nav ?. If you need it on a daily basis it's worth the extra outlay to upgrade, but if you only need it once in a while it's an expensive way of finding where you want to go, especially if your phone or a far cheaper TomTom does the job.

gamichea
20-10-2010, 09:01 AM
How much do you really need sat nav ?. If you need it on a daily basis it's worth the extra outlay to upgrade, but if you only need it once in a while it's an expensive way of finding where you want to go, especially if your phone or a far cheaper TomTom does the job.

Absolutely. Even when I have periods of needing the satnav daily I'm more than happy with TomTom and I'm starting to experiment with Sygic's MobileMaps10 on a smartphone as an alternative. I just cannot see the justification for the inflated cost of a factory fit system. Mount the TomTom or smartphone using a Brodit Pro-clip and Custom Mount and the device is rock solid and close to hand and the clips leave no scars when removed prior to vehicle disposal.

logiclee
21-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Although the dealer offered me a good deal on the Sat Nav I decided against it as I currently use a top of the Range TomTom with Live traffic. Paying extra for the RNS510 would have left me without full postcode search and unreliable TMC traffic so a backwards step.

Thought about the RCD510 touch screen and although it looks much better it has the same amps as the 310 and I don't need a multi CD.
I did pay extra for the MDI to have full Ipod control from the steering wheel and full display on the tracks.

Sound quality is good but I've since heard the upgraded speakers and they are excellent so maybe worth getting those.

If you do use an ipod the RCD510 touchscreen does make navigation easier but wasn't really worth the extra for me.

Just to add all the above were for the saloon a few months back. Not quite sure what your options are for the CC

Cheers
Lee

JonMarsh
24-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm just about to order a new CC and have decided to go with the RCD510 for a number of reasons:

1) Don't like the restricted postcode limitation of the built in VW SatNavs
2) I'm sticking with TomTom (and considering at their latest offering). Much better functionality and I like the ability to take the SatNav out of the car and plug it into the computer for route planning, managing favourites/POIs etc.
3) Most importantly - I want DAB. Can't see any option other than the RCD510.

I have an RCD510 on my current B6 and it works well but it doen't have the Dynaudio 10 speaker system (which is standard with the CC RCD510 option). It also doesn't have the MDI interface (which I'm going to go for).

I haven't been able to see the MDI interface demonstrated with the RCD510 so I hope it's going to work OK - anybody got this option?

gamichea
24-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm sticking with TomTom (and considering at their latest offering).

If you mean the GO 1000 and/or the XL replacement be aware these lack traditional TomTom support for custom POI warnings should this be important to you.

logiclee
24-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I haven't been able to see the MDI interface demonstrated with the RCD510 so I hope it's going to work OK - anybody got this option?

MDI works exactly the same on 310 and 510 with tracks displayed on the dash and control via the steering wheel. Searching through artists, songs, genres, playlists etc is best done on the head unit. It's a lot easier on the 510 as more information is displayed and you don't have to scroll as much as on the 310.

The MDI works great on either head unit.

Cheers
Lee

bhupinder73
26-10-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm just about to order a new CC and have decided to go with the RCD510 for a number of reasons:

2) I'm sticking with TomTom (and considering at their latest offering). Much better functionality and I like the ability to take the SatNav out of the car and plug it into the computer for route planning, managing favourites/POIs etc.

I have an RCD510 on my current B6 and it works well but it doen't have the Dynaudio 10 speaker system (which is standard with the CC RCD510 option). It also doesn't have the MDI interface (which I'm going to go for).

I tried to order a CC with the RCD 510 and Dynaudio, I was told by the dealer that this option is no longer valid. This was back in August, the dealer said they received a VW notice.

leowfc
27-10-2010, 10:17 PM

This is what I have except I use my iPhone with tomtom inc HD traffic.

DAB is great especially if you listen to 5 live,. My view all cars should have DAB and blue tooth by default.

The iPhone navigation comes though the speakers using the blue tooth it sits in a cradle on the dash and as it is on my phone nothing left in the car.

I plug my ipod in the mdi and works great.

Regards

Leo

JonMarsh
27-10-2010, 11:37 PM
This is what I have except I use my iPhone with tomtom inc HD traffic.

DAB is great especially if you listen to 5 live,. My view all cars should have DAB and blue tooth by default.
Leo

Totally agree (and I also listen to 5 Live). I find it amazing that DAB radios aren't being fitted as standard.

davej_523
28-10-2010, 04:54 AM
I tried to order a CC with the RCD 510 and Dynaudio, I was told by the dealer that this option is no longer valid. This was back in August, the dealer said they received a VW notice.

How do I get DAB now if the RCD 510 is no longer available ? The VW website and the brochures contradict each other and the dealer was useless.

logiclee
28-10-2010, 06:37 AM
How do I get DAB now if the RCD 510 is no longer available ? The VW website and the brochures contradict each other and the dealer was useless.

The new Passat saloon has DAB standard on the RCD310 so either that unit has been upgraded or there's probably a module available,

Cheers
Lee

Geofferson2007
31-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Having had the RNS-510 in my Scirocco I can recommend it 100%. I now have an A4 and a Tom Tom and it's such a pain in the behind. Sticking the stupid thing on the windscreen, it falling off then sticking it on and getting the smeary ring and finger prints on the windscreen is a complete ball ache for me.
It's expensive but I loved it.
I have heard you can get a second user unit for £600 fitted.

thax1
31-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Having had the RNS-510 in my Scirocco I can recommend it 100%.
It's expensive but I loved it.

Seconded.
Paired with the Dynaudio speakers, its a really nice place to listen to music too.
(You will find yourself wincing at any low-bitrate mp3's though! Its very good at exposing poor quality tracks ;))

leowfc
31-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Seconded.
Paired with the Dynaudio speakers, its a really nice place to listen to music too.
(You will find yourself wincing at any low-bitrate mp3's though! Its very good at exposing poor quality tracks ;))
So how do you get DAB with a RNS510 ? As DAB is far better for some stations like 5 Live and stations not on FM e.g Absolute 80's

Regards

Leo

gamichea
31-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I now have an A4 and a Tom Tom and it's such a pain in the behind. Sticking the stupid thing on the windscreen, it falling off then sticking it on and getting the smeary ring and finger prints on the windscreen is a complete ball ache for me.

Treat yourself to a Brodit Pro-clip & Custom Mount, apply carefully and the ache should disappear.