PDA

View Full Version : RNS 315 Sat Nav System

Scooby-Doo
19-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Looking at the new Passat saloon and noticed that it features the RNS 315 and not the RNS 310 as per CC.In view of this and the supply problems with the 310 is the 315 likely to appear in the CC after week 45 ??
Anybody know what the difference is ??
By the time I get my CC it won't look anything like the car I ordered.

The prices of the new saloon look a bit on the high side.

logiclee
19-10-2010, 05:33 PM
The prices of the new saloon look a bit on the high side.

Yep,

The SE is about the same price as the current highline. It adds bluetooth, Dab and usb input and auto wipers but looses the Vienna leather which is now a £1700 option and heated seats wich are now £400.
One or two other minor changes as well.

Sport adds different alloys but still 17", different cloth seats, front fogs, sports suspension and the 315 Sat Nav for around £1500 more than the SE.

If these were the prices and choices 6 months ago I'd now have a new suberb.

Lee

johnloaderuk
19-10-2010, 06:34 PM
This site gives a bit of info on the RNS310/RNS315.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/rns315-GPS-FAQ-VW.htm

logiclee
19-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Suppose full post code search will be too much to ask?

Dealer was prepared to do me a very good on a 510 when I ordered mine but I'm used to using a top spec tomtom with full postcode search, live traffic information, speed cameras and iq routing. I did try a Golf with the rns510 and it's slow and clunky compared to the tomtom and much more difficult to program.

Can't see why VW struggle to match a £250 device.

Cheers
Lee

johnloaderuk
19-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Suppose full post code search will be too much to ask?

Can't see why VW struggle to match a £250 device

I have the RNS310 in my Passat. The postcode search only goes to 5 digits maximum, so it will at least get you to the right county (hopefully :D).

Perhaps VW just make a huge mark up, as you can get the RNS510 from here http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk/mfd3-rns510.shtm for £600, which includes speed camera database, latest 2010 mapping, fitting etc.

When my RNS310 lets me down I also have a basic £100 TomTom with full postcode search which has never failed to get me where I need to be.

The built in system is better for no charging wires all over the place, no sucker marks on the windscreen, it does have traffic avoidance, and it's quick to start as soon as the ignition is on, integrates into the radio/speaker system, you don't have to pack it away when you get where you need to be etc.

However, the point of sat nav is to get you where you need to be, and ultimately my £100 TomTom does exactly that, when the RNS310 sometimes doesn't.

logiclee
19-10-2010, 09:14 PM
it does have traffic avoidance, .

Yeh, I can't say for sure what it's like on the VAG units but I've had a dedicated TMC-RDS unit, two tomtom's with TMC and for three months had a loan car Vauxhall with TMC fitted. I found it ranged from patchy to useless to no signal. The Tomtom live traffic is a subscription service and it's expensive but I've found it to be very good.

Cheers
Lee