PDA

View Full Version : A4 B8 newbie question on steering

MHAD
18-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi folks,

I've just traded in my 2008 TT Roadster for a 2009 A4 Avant ... needed something with somewhere to put a baby seat ... :approve:

It's a Jan 2009 car, 9k miles, 2.0 TDi S-Line Exec 143PS, collected from a dealer that's a god few miles away earlier today.

I have a newbie question about the steering on the car. I'd test driven one other Avant and a 2009 saloon of similar spec, both 143PS. The steering on my car seems considerably heavier at slow speeds in comparison to the others I've driven. Tyres have been checked obviously.

I remember on my 2005 A3 there was a setting that could be modified to adjust the "weight" of the steering, a dealer made a change for me during a service once. Is this possible on the A4 B8... and is it a Vagcom setting that I could tout for a local friendly forum user to help me with?

I'd also like to find out what OEM options I can retrofit / have retrofitted to the car. It has B&O (which sounds great) but no DAB ... can this be added? Also no AMI or Sat Nav. I'm guessing SatNav is unlikely.

And a long shot... what about heated seats, can they be retrofitted?

bez101
19-10-2010, 11:27 AM
dont know about the stearing
but anything can be retrofitted some easy some hard
but if you have the time and cash it can be done
theres loads of guides on other forums etc

c parnell
19-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I have a Jan 09 58 plate A4 Avant. My steering is also heavy. They now fit servotronic steering as standard which is much lighter at parking speeds. It did have a vibration also at parking speeds but this has been cured with the fitting of a new Steering hose.
Several people on this forum have written about similar problems.
I would like the lighter steering but it doesn't spoil the car too much.

Clive

MHAD
19-10-2010, 07:18 PM
dont know about the stearing
but anything can be retrofitted some easy some hard
but if you have the time and cash it can be done
theres loads of guides on other forums etc

Thanks bez101, any chance you could point me to some guides? I'm looking around but I'm not sure which forums are the best ?