PDA

View Full Version : DSG No Drive

asm51
18-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I was doing about 25mph today in my 2009 Mk6 GT 160 with only 3500 miles on the clock, when suddenly I had no drive as though the DSG box was in Neutral. Turning off the engine and restarting seems to have 'cured' it. Anyone else had this problem?

Gerryf
18-10-2010, 06:27 PM

johnloaderuk
18-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Check this fairly new site.

http://www.dsgproblems.co.uk/

HHGTTG
18-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Check this fairly new site.

http://www.dsgproblems.co.uk/
We all seem to be prone to VW nonsense at the moment dont'we. There's my recent loss power steering loss whilst manoeuvring on my drive and ESP fault coming up on the central display and sometimes the aircon won't work. Where will it all end or start, come to that!

PhilDon
18-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi Asm51, what you've described is a known issue with the 6 speed wet clutch DSG box....When the box gets too hot it selects neutral by default.

I don't have access to my own computer so I can't provide any links but I think the fix is as simple as fitting a higher rated oil/clutch temp sensor ?.
Some people recommend selecting neutral as opposed to leaving your car in drive at standstill.

Time to visit your Dealer.

Good luck

sorry Gerry but there are no "known issues" with the DSG
I have this on no less an authority than VW customer services dept, after I wrote to them asking if they had any intention of extending the warranty like they did in the States and / or how they would deal with a fault which arose once my warranty has expired.
They confirmed, in writing, that they could not comment as the factory had not made then aware of any issues - yeah right
still I kept the letter as I'm sure it could come in handy some day

Gerryf
19-10-2010, 10:19 AM
sorry Gerry but there are no "known issues" with the DSG
I have this on no less an authority than VW customer services dept, after I wrote to them asking if they had any intention of extending the warranty like they did in the States and / or how they would deal with a fault which arose once my warranty has expired.
They confirmed, in writing, that they could not comment as the factory had not made then aware of any issues - yeah right
still I kept the letter as I'm sure it could come in handy some day

It's the Gospel according to VW UK Phil :D

The original poster Asm51 should be within guarantee :)....I would consider a sudden loss of drive a potentially dangerous fault so I wouldn't relent until the fault was rectified.

BTW PR departments have always amused and maddened me in equal measures :biglaugh:

Our Administrator Stuart spoke of a total loss of drive on a DSG box over 3 years ago....

Read more here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16053)

Hopefully he'll spot this thread and comment.

Gerryf
19-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for linking us to an excellent site johnloaderuk :) :) :)

PhilDon
19-10-2010, 07:33 PM
It's the Gospel according to VW UK Phil :D

The original poster Asm51 should be within guarantee :)....I would consider a sudden loss of drive a potentially dangerous fault so I wouldn't relent until the fault was rectified.

BTW PR departments have always amused and maddened me in equal measures :biglaugh:

Our Administrator Stuart spoke of a total loss of drive on a DSG box over 3 years ago....

Read more here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16053)

Hopefully he'll spot this thread and comment.

cheers Gerry I'd seen the earlier thread

I wrote to VW because my car will be out of warranty in about 18 months, but will only have done around 20,000 miles. I told them I'd read some disturbing stuff about the DSG and when they eventually replied it was to say that they couldn't comment on internet stuff as it "wasn't official VW information"

a 2 second google soon came up with the VW of America letter acknowledging the issue and extending the warranty
so I sent it to them with a follow up letter saying basically I know it's the US but presumably the gearbox is the same

that produced the reply that said the factory had not made them aware of any issues - total tosh !
Now in fairness I hadn't expected them to come out and admit that there was any real prospect of it falling apart but I had hoped for something a bit more credible

I did get a call from a market research company a couple of weeks later asking how my I rated my dealings with the customer services team - let's just say I didn't leave them in any doubt

the final question was "what could they have done to make me feel better about things" and I simply answered - take me seriously & talk to me like a grown up

It's a great shame as I really like the car & the transmission, but I suspect I'll get rid before it's out of warranty as it could be a financial time bomb !

As for Asm51 - I'd be camped at the dealers and refuse to drive the car until I had a complete assurance - in writing - that the car was fixed
25mph was dangerous enough - try a busy motorway and it doesn't bear thinking about

asm51
20-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your input everybody. I too think this is a potentially dangerous fault and will report to it to my dealers. I suspect they will say something like 'it was a one off' or they 'can't reproduce it' but we will see.

percymon
20-10-2010, 09:39 AM
VW are hardly likely to send a list of potential issues and weaknesses to a customer though are they ?

Just imagine if that got published ont he net, they'd have tens of thousands of customers queueing up for a new gearbox.

Annoying yes, but if it weren't for the internet owners would be unawares of issues, so at least people can buy from a more informed position, and when issues do arise they have a better idea of whether the dealership are giving them a load of tosh or not.

Scruffy
20-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I received a letter today from my dealer advising there has been a delay in the delivery of my car (I was told 3 weeks ago I had a 'confirmed' build week of 41).

"There has been a delay due to an issue with the DSG Gearbox... Your estimated delivery date is now November" (I had previously been told it should be with the dealer w/c 8 Nov.)

The letter goes on "...VW have been trying to fix the issue but still can't give any indication of when that will be."

They then go on to advise that orders made before 30 Sept will not be affected by the VAT rise - that's due in January!

It looks to me as if they're sending out a standard letter so that customers with a new delivery date beyond the end of the year know they won't be affected by the VAT increase. At least I hope that's what it means, and that they're not preparing me for another delay... :confused:

Gerryf
20-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Learn more about the American temp sensor recall here (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm)

PhilDon
20-10-2010, 06:26 PM
VW are hardly likely to send a list of potential issues and weaknesses to a customer though are they ?

Just imagine if that got published ont he net, they'd have tens of thousands of customers queueing up for a new gearbox.

Annoying yes, but if it weren't for the internet owners would be unawares of issues, so at least people can buy from a more informed position, and when issues do arise they have a better idea of whether the dealership are giving them a load of tosh or not.

Too late for that - they already have admitted it (but only in the States) see this lnk

http://www.dsgproblems.co.uk/Volkswagen%20of%20America%20Inc.pdf

does rather undermine their credibility wouldn't you say ?