PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Remap, Advice Needed

Jakelamotta
18-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi all, i was considering remapping my passat with the hope of achieving better mpg figures. would anybody have any advice or past experience they could share with me. thanks in advance

richiemac
18-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I have mine done about 9 months now and no regrets. Better mpg ( about 6-7) and bags of torque too........no complaints here :approve:

ExpertTuning
18-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi Jake

I can't see from your profile or your car photos what age your Passat is, or what engine it has. Can you let me know, and also where you are located. I'll be happy to give you more information about what power and fuel consumption improvements you might expect once I have the details.

Cheers

Paul

Jakelamotta
19-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Hello Paul, the car is a 2008 tdi 170 sport, no complaints about power but i am not happy with the fuel consumption, short trips may be reading 29mpg and struggles to achieve around 40mpg on trip. thanks in advance for any information. located in north west of ireland.
Thanks Paul

ExpertTuning
19-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi Paul

Before you consider a remap, just try and get a bit of feedback from other owners to see what their fuel consumption is on this car. If you're particularly out of line with them, it may be your EGR valve is clogged (often a problem after 35k/40k miles) in which case I'd suggest getting that checked first. It is reasonably cheap to have checked if you know a good mechanic. Do you get a lot of sooty black smoke when you accelarate hard? If you do it might be a good indicater that the EGR valve is clogged or sticking.

A remap is going to help so long as everything else is in order. It won't be a fix for a problem elsewhere. See what the feedback is re; real-worls MPG from this car with other owners and take it from there.

Cheers

Paul

manity
19-10-2010, 02:28 PM
hi i have a 07 170 sport i get high 50`s average mpg. done a round trip of 500 miles recently and got 47 combined.

esse_esse
19-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Jake

I can't see from your profile or your car photos what age your Passat is, or what engine it has. Can you let me know, and also where you are located. I'll be happy to give you more information about what power and fuel consumption improvements you might expect once I have the details.

Cheers

Paul

Hiya mate

I might interested in a remap I have an 06 1.9 tdi 105ps and currently I get around 40-45mpg round town and 50mpg on the motorways

what sort of power output could I get from unit?

Ta

Esse

mikecb1
19-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Jakelamotta

I have a 07 model Sport 170 with 29k miles on the clock. I live in the country, and on short local trips I typically get 41-42 mpg. On long runs, e.g. 250 mile mainly motorway trip from Southampton to Manchester, driving fairly carefully and keeping (fairly) close to the speed limits, I get just over 50 mpg.

HTH

Mike

vince47
19-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Jakelamotta

I have a 07 model Sport 170 with 29k miles on the clock. I live in the country, and on short local trips I typically get 41-42 mpg. On long runs, e.g. 250 mile mainly motorway trip from Southampton to Manchester, driving fairly carefully and keeping (fairly) close to the speed limits, I get just over 50 mpg.

HTH

MikeMt 170SEL Estate 20k on the clock is also 41-42mpg on short local trips, lower if so short it doesnt warm up. However I only once got to 50.1mpg after 20m of drifting along at 60mph on an empty dual carriageway. I reckon I could easily drop it to 37-39mpg if I booted it for short trips or had long traffic stop/start journeys. My average since new is 42.3mpg

redrolo
19-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Hello Paul, the car is a 2008 tdi 170 sport, no complaints about power but i am not happy with the fuel consumption, short trips may be reading 29mpg and struggles to achieve around 40mpg on trip. thanks in advance for any information. located in north west of ireland.
Thanks Paul

I had the same sort of figures with my 170. I did a trip to the Pyrenees in the Passat and it averaged 600 miles on a tank, and I used the Autoroute there and back. have now got a 140 Tiguan and achieve mid 40's with same driving style.

ExpertTuning
20-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Esse

Your Passat (1.9 TDi) will raise from 105 bhp to 135 bhp, and torque will raise from 250 NM to 320 NM. These are very worthwhile improvements for this engine,

Feel free to contact me directly for more information.

Cheers

Paul

info@experttuning.co.uk

smudgerb6
20-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi has anyone got experience of mapping the newer CR DPF engine? Mines a 2008 140.

The new Common Rail engine is fantastic improvement but can always do with more power!

Any experienc????

ExpertTuning
21-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Hi Smudger
We have remapped a number of these engines, and you'll get up from 140 to 170 hp and a torque rise from 320 to 380 NM. These two changes make a tremendous difference to the responsiveness, smoothness and pull at low revs, as well as improving MPG by about 10%.
Let me know if you want more information.
Paul
info@experttuning.co.uk

Jakelamotta
21-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks all for the feedback, i definately will have the egr valve checked out as the car now has 45k on the clock. Its the mpg on short trips that is particularly frustrating. But when all is said and done I still love the passat

Daveymilo
14-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Im in the process of getting a 2.0 tdi SE 140bhp if i went for a standard remap what figures would i be looking at?

ExpertTuning
14-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Davey

The 2.0 tdi will move up from 140 to 175 bhp, with torque rising from 320 NM to 395 NM with a 'standard' remap, by which I mean a remap that keeps well within the power handling capabilities of the mechanical components and that would also improve fuel consumption alongside the power and driveability benefits.

Feel free to give me a call if you'd like more information.

Cheers

Paul
01883 341774
07525 479932
info@experttuning.co.uk
www.experttuning.co.uk (http://www.experttuning.co.uk)

140 BHP
175 BHP
320 NM
395 NM

f33nix
15-11-2010, 01:28 AM

Jakelamotta
15-11-2010, 10:35 AM
look forward to hearing the results of the remap, since posting and followings the great advice i have had the egr valve removed and thoroughly cleaned. This according to the vag mechanic was the cheapest option to check first and eliminate as being the problem. i experienced a slight improvement in the mpg figures but nothing major. i went back to the mechanic and he now tells me that a filter that is located quite close to the turbo is the likely problem, seemingly the computer is sending the message that the filter needs to cleaned and is trying to wash this with diesel and this is the prob??? anybody got an idea??

kennym999
15-11-2010, 11:04 AM
I have a 2007 57 Sport estate 170tdi. On short journeys (around 9 miles) I can achieve 40 - 43 mpg, giving the car 'a bit of a blast' I normally get about 31mpg. The best I have achieved is on a mainly motorway journey of 40 miles where I got 55 mpg. I have heard mixed reviews of remaps with DPF engines which makes me unsure about getting one myself. I would be interested in hearing about how to clean the EGR valve if possible though.

Jakelamotta
15-11-2010, 11:30 AM
hi i watched the guy take out the egr valve and was quite time consuming, not a lot of stripping but difficult enough to release some of the long screws. i'm afraid i would not be the best person to ask exactly how to remove this, perhaps some other member will be able to explain . sorry

f33nix
15-11-2010, 04:44 PM

brightside
15-11-2010, 09:09 PM
if the DPF (filter your onabout) is getting "full" you need to "regenerate it".
Which is as far as I'm aware basicly involves, giving it a good thrashing, once warm.

kennym999
16-11-2010, 12:52 AM
if the DPF (filter your onabout) is getting "full" you need to "regenerate it".
Which is as far as I'm aware basicly involves, giving it a good thrashing, once warm.

DPF and EGR are different I believe. If the EGR goes its a fairly cheap repair. If the DPF goes it can be fairly expensive. I was fortunate that my DPF sensor went with 2 months of warranty left.

brightside
16-11-2010, 08:16 PM
look forward to hearing the results of the remap, since posting and followings the great advice i have had the egr valve removed and thoroughly cleaned. This according to the vag mechanic was the cheapest option to check first and eliminate as being the problem. i experienced a slight improvement in the mpg figures but nothing major. i went back to the mechanic and he now tells me that a filter that is located quite close to the turbo is the likely problem, seemingly the computer is sending the message that the filter needs to cleaned and is trying to wash this with diesel and this is the prob??? anybody got an idea??

I was reffering to this... sounds like DPF to me?

Jakelamotta
17-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks all for the advice and comments, after reading some of your own experiences with mpg's I think maybe my car is not too far off the mark. Anyway thanks again guys.