PDA

View Full Version : First scratch!

vwawudi
17-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Noticed a scratch on my boot :(, much as I told myself that this is just a car, a means of transport, I'm not happy.

Dunno how it got there, I didn't do it and I don't think it's been keyed (too shallow).

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/fotofit/ad798c07.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/fotofit/5b17c7e1.jpg

Can it get any worse? Should I sort it and how?

Many thanks.

Geordie Amanda
17-10-2010, 08:08 PM
You have my sympathies as I know exactly how you feel. mine was keyed about a month after I got it. I suspect that it was the kids down the street, after I asked them politely not to kick their football off my car :( The scratch is a little to low for an adult and it is definitely a key job (metal thingie), not a natural scratch. It's about 18" long at it's worst point:1zhelp:

Bratty
17-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I had a few scratches like that appearing after my wife volunteered (first and last time´!) to wash one of the cars, traced them to dragging the (dirty!) hose over the bodywork while rinseing the paintwork off:aargh4:. The Dyson hoover hose is another beauty, leaves multiple parallel marks as the plastic rubs against the exterior paintwork when you are distracted by doing the interior.

If you are lucky and they are very light then they should polish out.

Dunk

vwawudi
17-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Due in to the dealers soon. Hopefully when they valet it, it'd be gone. Should I bring it to their attention? Will they charge me to get rid of it?

In retrospect, the car was washed after it's last dealer visit (not washed it since LOL!) and I wonder if that's when it happened.

Another blemish on the paint work appeared after that visit too but as I did't pick up on it straight away I decided to forget it.

Geordie Amanda
17-10-2010, 08:42 PM
That scratch looked to me to be man made, it has the flourish of a jealous key owner :( My scratch catches on my finger nail, so I am pretty sure it won’t polish out. In general the paint seems softer than the paint on my previous BMW. Any one else think similar?

certacito
17-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I too think the paint must be very soft/thin as my new A4 is only about 6 weeks old and it has three stone chips on the front/top edge of the bonnet each of them down to the metal.

I've had cars six years and not had as many bad stone chips.

troc
18-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Looks like the kind of scratch you get when people drag a coat or bag over a car (by accident) in a car park. I have a similar scratch on my S4 that I got in the ferry driving it back to Holland the day I got it :(

They park cars so close together it's almost impossible to avoid......

nrwilliams35
19-10-2010, 02:17 PM
vw/nic - i had similar twice now on my lava grey tdi and both times i have used 'smartabc' at Reigate. They have franchises around London. Looks like new now again. Cannot recommend them highly enough. Lukas is a real charmer at Reigate branch and spent a lot of time making my a4 'as new' Bon chance

Ardy
19-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Unlucky VW :-(, worth a try with the t-cut though i would imagine?

I have to say i find myself parking right away from anyone in car parks nowadays to try and help avoid some of the potential damage out there.

Only scratch I have so far was done by my good self right next to drivers door handle so i see it everytime i jump in - was thinking about trying one of scratch repair companies as defo to deep for polish or t-cut.

Feel sorry for both yourself and Amanda:-( - these b******s who key cars grrr.

vwawudi
19-10-2010, 02:20 PM
vw/nic - i had similar twice now on my lava grey tdi and both times i have used 'smartabc' at Reigate. They have franchises around London. Looks like new now again. Cannot recommend them highly enough. Lukas is a real charmer at Reigate branch and spent a lot of time making my a4 'as new' Bon chance

Thanks for that. If you don't mind, how much did it cost to fix?