PDA

View Full Version : A6 5cylinder 2.5tdi broken camshaft

drwint
17-10-2010, 12:53 AM
My 1997 A6 2.5tdi 5 cylinder engine camshaft broke recently and I can't work out why and would like to know before I rebuild it in case it does it again. I have taken the head off and there is no sign of any damage to the pistons - not even damage to the valve heads so I think the bottom end is ok so wasn't the cause. Three cam followers have been destroyed so I guess the valve stems are bent and the guides damaged. The cam belt was broken but it had only done 11,000 miles and doesn't show any sign of wear - it is a clean break straight across so I think it was the camshaft going that broke the belt rather than the other way around. The break is right in the middle of the camshaft where the drive for the vacuum pump runs so I thought the pump must have seized - but it seems ok. It gurgles a bit - can they fill with fluid somehow and lock up? I haven't really looked hard at the fuel pump but I think it turns ok. I have heard there were problems with some camshafts - does anyone know if this could be one of them?
I don't have any sort of manual - does anyone know where I can get one? I got it apart ok but getting it back together could be too good a test of the memory.

adamss24
17-10-2010, 01:09 AM
What make was the belt, Dayco?

drwint
17-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't know - it was probably supplied by Europarts but it was fitted by a garage and although I ased them to look up the invoice they haven't got around to it and I had stopped asking as I thoght it was something else. I'm not back home until THursday so can't look at the belt to see if it has a makers name. Why do you ask, are Dayco not reliable?

towcestervag
21-10-2010, 08:23 AM
ive had vac pumps seize before ans this snap camshaft where it bolts to head