PDA

View Full Version : Looking at B8 3L diesl quattro

Jules59
17-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi
Im looking to change my car soon and wondered about a 6 month to 1 year old 3L diesel quattro A4 avant S-lIne. I rarely buy new and as Ive never had a Audi before so Im wondering if there are any specific issues with this particular model that I should know about before i go searching.

Any help gratefully received.

Jules

robtt09
18-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Had mine 18 months now and all is well. Try an auto as it suits the big engine.I get about 33mpg day to day and over 40 on A roads/motorways at a steady 80

perfekt_g
18-10-2010, 09:11 PM
The only issue that I know about is the triptronic gearboxes which Audi have had a lot of problem with. So if you want an automatic go for the S-Tronic (DSG).

Besides that the car is brilliant! However you should consider the Audi Drive Select and Dynamic Steering as it transforms the car, and makes it the perfect highway cruiser for everyday use and a drivers car when you are in the mode.

Furthermore I can only recommend MTM's engine upgrade.

Good luck hunting :)

Guest 2
18-10-2010, 10:21 PM
The only issue that I know about is the triptronic gearboxes which Audi have had a lot of problem with.

The troublesome gearbox is Multitronic, not Tiptronic. Multitronics are available on engines with fwd and not available on Quattro.

Try the Tiptronic, suits the big engine well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perfekt_g
19-10-2010, 09:30 AM
The troublesome gearbox is Multitronic, not Tiptronic. Multitronics are available on engines with fwd and not available on Quattro.

Try the Tiptronic, suits the big engine well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi have had a lot of problems related to their tiptronic gearboxes. The problems are mainly related to the ZF 6HP19 transmission (B7), but their have been some reports of problems with the ZF 6HP28 (B8) as well - however the problems seems to be curred with an fluid change.

If the Tiptronic suits the engine or not is a question of personal taste. I prefer the S-tronic in everyday driving, a manual for spirited driving and actively disqualyfied the tiptronic due to the reliability issues and the loss of power in the converters.

Jules59
19-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone. All info gratefully received.

shipy
20-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi
Im looking to change my car soon and wondered about a 6 month to 1 year old 3L diesel quattro A4 avant S-lIne. I rarely buy new and as Ive never had a Audi before so Im wondering if there are any specific issues with this particular model that I should know about before i go searching.

Any help gratefully received.

Jules

Did the same thing about 12 months ago haven't looked back, mines a "Tip" great car saved £10k buying a 6 month old car just had 2nd service no issues. :biglaugh:

scoobmw
20-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd say watch out for fuel consumption - seems to be quite poor compared to advertised figures. I'm aware that typically people don't reach advertised figures, but the 3.0TDi is miles off. If I do a 95% A Road/Motorway trip I still don't see above 34.
Plenty miles round town, I could get as good mpg on my Prodrive Impreza and that's saying something. But hey, it's a big engine.

shipy
20-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Got to say I regularly see 42mpg on motorway once managed 50 on a long but legally boring run with around 36 round town. Very pleased far more economical than my old 1.8t petrol and loads of torque and power. Found cruise control a very useful licence saving option

Pauls898
20-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Yes mine has done just over 15K from new, still running it in, but the MPG is rising all the time, now when I fill it up, its giving me 555 per tank on the computer, but averaging well over 40MPG mainly commuting 27 miles to and from work each day, so no short jouneys and mostly Motorways and A Roads with little or no stopping, mind you I'm not the fastest off from the lights, but the car will do it if you press the pedal to the metal she really goes..... Great car! to drive and so smooth and quite in the cabin, get the B&O too thats sounds cool..

scoobmw
20-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Impressed with both the last two sets of figures.
So to get these figures what motorway speed are you driving at ? 70 ? 56 ?
I assume 7th gear in both cases.

I dont't see 50+ on the instant mpg-ometer, never mind after a trip. unless i'm freewheeling downhill. And on top of that the DIS overstates the mpg aswell - you don't seem to get what it says you've got.

Do i care - probably not as muvh as I should, but I budgeted on 33 in normal use as I didn't believe any of the hype, but would be good to see something a bit better.

robtt09
21-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Only six gears in auto. But a true 33+ is easily achieved without trying very much.Interesting article in Sunday Times a week or two ago about diesel economy and advice to keep under 2000rpm for best results.I am trying it and will report on next fill up

perfekt_g
21-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I am getting 31 - 40 MPG (7-9 l/100 km).

Normal cruising speed is 80-110 mph.

The everyday commute is 20 miles highway 5 miles city driving and it is returning 420-500 miles on a tank. The MFI calculation of the fuel consumption is accurate compared to the actual consumed diesel vs. the traveled distance - if I do not use the webasto parking heater (which of cause uses some diesel).

On the return trip from MTM (430 miles) about two weeks ago it did 33.2 mpg. 10% b-roads at 70 mph, 90% highway with a fifthy/fifthy split between 105 mph and 130 mph and one streatch of 25 miles "pedal to the metal" 166 mph.

Overall I am really pleased with the fuel consumption of the A4 3.0 tdi. At 90 mph the consumption is the same as for my wifes 2.0 140 hp 07 Jetta and the average consumption on the everyday commute is only about 10% higher. With two times the power output I believe that is quiet impressing...

vwawudi
21-10-2010, 01:53 PM

The everyday commute is 20 miles highway 5 miles city driving and it is returning 420-500 miles on a tank. The MFI calculation of the fuel consumption is accurate compared to the actual consumed diesel vs. the traveled distance - if I do not use the webasto parking heater (which of cause uses some diesel).

On the return trip from MTM (430 miles) about two weeks ago it did 33.2 mpg. 10% b-roads at 70 mph, 90% highway with a fifthy/fifthy split between 105 mph and 130 mph and one streatch of 25 miles "pedal to the metal" 166 mph.

Overall I am really pleased with the fuel consumption of the A4 3.0 tdi. At 90 mph the consumption is the same as for my wifes 2.0 140 hp 07 Jetta and the average consumption on the everyday commute is only about 10% higher. With two times the power output I believe that is quiet impressing...

Wow! Such speeds! Is that legal in Sweden?

perfekt_g
21-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow! Such speeds! Is that legal in Sweden?

No... But giving we had done the same distance in the morning and just whanted to get home - and the traffic was extremly limited we took the risk..

You loose your licens at 30 kph (19 mph) above the speed limit in Sweden - on most highways the limit is 110 kph (68 mph). In Denmark where the main time of my driving is spent, you get suspended from driving (they can not suspend your drivers licens when it is issued in another country, only suspend you from driving in Denmark for a periode) if you get cought doing more than 160 kph (100 mph) two times within a periode of 3 years - or more than 200 kph (124 mph).

scoobmw
22-10-2010, 08:17 AM

That's good enough for me - I'm going to stop worrying about this for now, because I'm getting nothing near that :-)
If there were roads to drive on that involved a constant speed of over 105mph for 387 miles or so I think I'd get a lot lot less - and I've got exactly the same car. 33.2 is amazing.
I'm on an overall average of 29mpg fo 1,600 miles. And in terms of heavy right foot - bear in mind that I chose (as I plan to have the car for a while) to take it specially easy for the first 1,000 miles, varying gears yes, but not exceeding 3,000 rpm ever, and generally working between 1,100 and 2,000.

One of these days I might deliberately do one of my trips up the road not overtaking anything and see what happens, but I can't really see me getting over 35mpg even at a constant 60mph in 7th gear. Then again, I might not.

What might be interesting is for people to create a list of journeys they've done that do get circa 40mpg in the 3.0TDi's with data re speed/type of driving and so on. Might help other make decisions re their cars.

Now ... off to read up on 166mph locations, were I ever to bring myself to get a car to that speed without dying of fright :D

perfekt_g
22-10-2010, 09:03 AM
That's good enough for me - I'm going to stop worrying about this for now, because I'm getting nothing near that :-)
If there were roads to drive on that involved a constant speed of over 105mph for 387 miles or so I think I'd get a lot lot less - and I've got exactly the same car. 33.2 is amazing.
I'm on an overall average of 29mpg fo 1,600 miles. And in terms of heavy right foot - bear in mind that I chose (as I plan to have the car for a while) to take it specially easy for the first 1,000 miles, varying gears yes, but not exceeding 3,000 rpm ever, and generally working between 1,100 and 2,000.

One of these days I might deliberately do one of my trips up the road not overtaking anything and see what happens, but I can't really see me getting over 35mpg even at a constant 60mph in 7th gear. Then again, I might not.

What might be interesting is for people to create a list of journeys they've done that do get circa 40mpg in the 3.0TDi's with data re speed/type of driving and so on. Might help other make decisions re their cars.

Now ... off to read up on 166mph locations, were I ever to bring myself to get a car to that speed without dying of fright :D

Bear in mind that if you engine is not yet fully broken in, it uses more fuel...

On my wifes Jette the fuel consumption figures kept on climbing (the good way) ontil about 20.000 miles.

If I were you I would take it out for at long run (a couple of hours) at some B-roads and highways late at night and let it work for it. One thing though - remember to let your turbo cool down for some time before you turn off the engine... Try that and it will properly return better milage on your everyday commute.

scoobmw
22-10-2010, 09:13 AM
One thing though - remember to let your turbo cool down for some time before you turn off the engine... Try that and it will properly return better milage on your everyday commute.

I always did that on the petrol turbo's if they'd been worked hard up till switch off time. If I ever end up working this one hard and then stopping soon after will do the same then based on that. ta.

shipy
22-10-2010, 08:28 PM
I can easily get 40mpg at a steady 80mph in 6th (Auto) within about 50 miles including some more enthusiastic sessions, 50mpg was over a 150 miles at around 65-70 using cruise.

scoobmw
23-10-2010, 10:27 PM
So, how long in 6th gear - how many miles, or how much time? And does it in your opinion involve totally constant 80mph, i.e. no slowing/accelerating due to traffic?
The longest stretch of Motoreay in Scotand that I ever driev on is only about 30 miles (M90) and it always involves some form of increasing/decreasing speed even if remaining in 7th gear (STronic).

theskyfox
25-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Only six gears in auto. But a true 33+ is easily achieved without trying very much.Interesting article in Sunday Times a week or two ago about diesel economy and advice to keep under 2000rpm for best results.I am trying it and will report on next fill up

I do that as my normal driving style in my current car (1.9TDi 130, manual, non-dpf) and its the best way to get the best MPG. Keep us posted how you get on as Im getting the 3.0TDi early next year too!

-Andrew

perfekt_g
25-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Why go above 2.000 rpm???

I only do that if I am in 6. gear on the highway, if I am having some fun or if I am racing someone... And if I do so, it will always have done at least 10 km./10 min. of driving...

If you get a MTM remap, the engine performs 320 nm at about 1.200 rpm (which actually is not that different from standard). That is the same as a 2.0 140 hp tdi's maximum torque, so I will ask again - why drive above 2.000 rpm. if you are driving normally?

scoobmw
25-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Don't think anyone's suggesting going over it to be honest.
I know in general use I'm not over 2,000. Few times I am it's been cos I've switched into manual as i learn to drive the car with the S Tronic box. Otheriwse in D it just shifts itself, and that's before 2,000 i think. in Dynamic mode it changes around 3,0000, so when overtaking there are times it's relevant. And I'm going for Audi's take on when it should change up in that regard :-)
Obviously if being heavy on the throttle and going up the rev range then mpg will drop.