PDA

View Full Version : Unplugging Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)

Chucky666UK
16-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi guys

People on this forum will know my from my thread on poor mpg on my S-line multitronic A4 2.0 143. These problems continue, and i ams still depressed. Car been to dealers 3 times without them finding a problem. My overall average mpg since buying the car in June is about 30 mpg.

Today I had the bright idea of unplugging the MAF to see if there is any difference in driving. When for a 15 mile cruise around town. returned avg 37 mpg and car seemed a bit smoother and a little less rougher (hope it is not in my head).

Just wanted some advice if you guy think it might be worth replacing the MAF ( I did have adirty air filter which I replaced 3 months ago).

Cheers.

Chuck.

a8 tech
16-10-2010, 07:11 PM
first test a like for like vehicle with the same tyres etc
reconnect the maf and clear the fault code before you develop dpf problems as you are basically running on default values.
check the dash adaption channels to ensure the mpg value is set to 100%
check the tyre pressures are correct
oil and fuel consumption are at there highest in the first 10,000 miles
re adapt the gear box and then re check the mpg

why you should not disconnect the maf

No Active regeneration function (dpf will increase soot levels without regeneration)
The carbon level of the particulate filter is calculated by two pre-programmed level models in the engine control
unit.
One carbon level model is determined from the user’s driving style and the exhaust gas temperature sensor and
lambda probe signals.
A further carbon level model is the flow resistance of the particulate filter. It is calculated using the signals from the
exhaust gas pressure sensor 1, the exhaust gas temperature sensors and the air mass meter.