PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi 80 Front shocks/Dampners

Hench
15-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone, I have just bought an Audi 80 TDI after the head gasket went on my other Audi 80 TDI estate. There are a few things that need swapping over before i can put the new one through an MOT. I can manage the brakes and stuff but i have never changed over the dampners before, i have been told it is quite easy but any help or hints would be great, its the front ones. Also what dampners would fit as i cant seem to find any for my model.

I have a few other things as well but ill start with this first!!!

Thanks

Hench

micheal balbrig
15-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone, I have just bought an Audi 80 TDI after the head gasket went on my other Audi 80 TDI estate. There are a few things that need swapping over before i can put the new one through an MOT. I can manage the brakes and stuff but i have never changed over the dampners before, i have been told it is quite easy but any help or hints would be great, its the front ones. Also what dampners would fit as i cant seem to find any for my model.

I have a few other things as well but ill start with this first!!!

Thanks

Hench

You need a set of spring compressors to attempt to change the shocks.
They are hiding in the tube of strut and held by a large round nut which can be loosened with a large stilson.There should be no problem locating new shocks.
Regards Michael

Tobster
16-10-2010, 08:13 PM
If you're only swapping the entire struts over without renewing any parts, leave the whole thing as one complete piece.

If I didn't already have two of them I'd ask what your plans for the old one are, but a TDI engine swap in an Audi 80 looks more straightforward than a lot of other cars given the space available etc.

Hench
17-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your response, I will let you know how it goes!! :D

Hench
17-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Oh forgot to mention, my old TDI is gonna be scrapped or put on ebay for parts, just incase you lovely lot know anyone! Cheers again!!:D

scotty33
17-10-2010, 10:30 PM
There are a few tricks for getting the strut apart. first is the top mounts have a 22mm nut and a 7mm allen key hex in the top of the piston rod. Nut comes off easy with a 'windy' gun, if you don't have one you will need a 7mm allen key and maybe a cranked ring spanner, or use an old socket in the jaws of a pair of stillsons - the allen key needs to go through the middle.
Once the strut is off the car, the top mount is held onto the shock absorber by a round nut with 2 small notches in the top. There are special tools available for undoing these nuts, but many owners cut an old socket to a suitable shape and use that instead.