PDA

View Full Version : Removal of shroud around steering wheel

stig414
15-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm looking for an idiots guide to remove the lower shroud behind the wheel. I have the wheel off, the upper shroud off, the lower dash off, but I cannot for the life of me work out how the bottom part comes off. It seems stuck around the key barrel. The four crosshead screws and the allen screw are removed, and the adjuster is off, what else do I need to take off? It seems far too stiff to persuade over the barrel, but I cant see any other way of doing it.

Suggestions welcome...

Daz

manclad
15-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Not 100% on this, but I think that it's fastened behind the steering wheel. So to gain access the wheel (and airbag) will have to be removed.

martin1810
15-10-2010, 07:41 PM
From your description it sounds like everything is undone so it should pull off. As you say, 4 screws and a bolt. Is it not loose at all.

jammy86
15-10-2010, 07:45 PM
This any use?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f347/jamfitz86/Passatlowershroud.jpg

stig414
15-10-2010, 08:00 PM
That picture shows perfectly how the car looks at the moment, but it doesn't show the lock barrel fouling the trim to prevent it sliding out. Yes it is loose of sorts but snags on the lock. It does look as if the outer portion of the lock can be removed but I don't know how. I've tried to be brutal, but I bet the trim is more expensive than the ignition switch I'm trying to replace:( . I've undone the trim piece around the lower side of the binnacle, but can't separate that from the dash either, as I wondered if there were any hidden screws behind it.

jammy86
16-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Might be a brute force and ignorrance job then :)

stig414
16-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Brute force was the order of the day, but on refitting I noticed that one of the guides has a notch to aid removal:( The correct way to remove it, is to pull the left side off first, this then releases the right side where the key goes.
To top it all off, I changed the ignition switch and it still didn't solve my issues :zx11: The fault with the wipers, indicators, and fan still remained. After much testing I traced the fault to a dodgy earth on the relay bank, so am now £32 lighter due to switch I didn't need

paulthefox
16-10-2010, 05:43 PM
sod's law there bud