PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 Quattro tyre replacement

bearxxv
15-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi all,

I have a 3.2 S-Line quattro and have notice tyre wear on inner edges of both front tyres. Had the same issue a couple of years ago and was told to replace all 4 tyres and have 4 wheel alignment done.
Anyway had this done and the tyre wear is back!!

Quick question - Do i really need to replace all 4 corners if the rears are still on 3.5mm??

Cheers

NickPicks
15-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't replace the tyres if they've still got that much tread on them.

Wearing on the inner edge is a symptom of too much toe out. If it was 2 years ago that you had the alignment done, get it done again. it does drift with wear and the number of potholes we have on our third world standard roads.

aliS
15-10-2010, 10:47 PM
No need to replace the rear tyres, always change axled pairs on driving wheels to save the diffs.

Chances are if you have not smegged a pot hole or clipped a curb then you could have a problem with springs or suspension wear. Unless you have lowered your car or changed a suspension component>?

BACKSTEP
17-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I too have same a3 and have noticed all 4 tyres seem to wear odly,though it may be just a characteristic of the quattro.Think i will get tracking checked and post results.Tim

dod1e
19-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a quatrro also and although I do not do many miles and have yet to find out how the tires are going to wear, I would expect the fronts to wear much quicker mainly fron steering round bends. I intend to swap the front and rear tires around as soon as the fronts become noticably more worn than the rears.

This is fine provided both tires at each end are wearign evenly and you do not swap them diagonally, i.e you need to swap the front left with rear left and the same on the right so the direction of rotation remains the same.

bearxxv
20-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Had the car in at the garage and had to replace all 4 tyres. The front 2 worn on inner edge - needed to be toe'd in, also had the rears replaced as they were closer to 2.5mm.

I use Michelin pilot sport 2's which are a good tyre - get approx 32K out of them each time (unless they wear due to tracking!)

Cheers for the replies everyone