PDA

View Full Version : Bi Xeons - and Day Time Running lights

andy203
15-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi, new to this forum, have recently purchased a second hand GTD regisered in July 2010, it has Bi xeons, and with the lights set to Auto or off, I get the day time running lights I think? There is one problem with this I thought that DRL were just on the front, my rear lights are also on. Has anyone got the same thing happening on there vehicle with Bi xeons fitted as standard?
I also thought that the DRL were ment to be a seperate bulb, with the car outside the garage in day light I can see the lights illuminating the back garage wall and they dont appear to get any brighter when the car is driven into the garage.
Any thought suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards
Andy

james_tiger_woo
15-10-2010, 09:54 AM
The DRLs are not, on mine anyway, a separate bulb - it's the full beam light. When they're on, however, the rears shouldn't be on - I have Auto lights too and I have found that they're a bit sensitive/keen....

It could be that the auto lights are doing what mine do and come on at the slightest hint of cloud - and without a "lights on" indication (insert bug-bear here), I never know about it.

SC03OTT
15-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Is there not three DRL settings? 1: Off, 2: Front only and 3: Front and rear. So option three sounds like what has been set, possibly by the previous owner.

james_tiger_woo
15-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Is there not three DRL settings? 1: Off, 2: Front only and 3: Front and rear. So option three sounds like what has been set, possibly by the previous owner.

I, personally, don't have that option - I didn't think you could turn them off (although, I think you can if you have Xenons). Or has that been set in VAG-COM?

SC03OTT
15-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I, personally, don't have that option - I didn't think you could turn them off (although, I think you can if you have Xenons). Or has that been set in VAG-COM?

Yeah it's set using VAGCOM. Sorry, I should have mentioned that :)

I think what I have said is correct, but I'm open to people correcting me.

andy203
15-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you all for you views and comments, there is certainly no way you can turn off the running lights via the idercator stalk as mentioned in the vehicles handbook. With the light switch set to Auto, when vehicle is running the side light position is illuminated on the light switch, although the front side lights are not on, but the rar lights are illuminated. The other nagging thing is that as the Running lights? if they are running lights. Every time I go to use the screen washers the headlights get washed first then you have to push the switch again to get the water on the screen. I assume I should have opted for a vehicle without the Bi Xeons.

Andy

Keithuk
15-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Well with mine I hate DRL's (fronts only) so I had them turned off. The Auto position just turns the lights on front and back depending on ambient light. Its a different procedure to turn off DRL's with Xenon's. ;)

andy203
15-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for that - Do you have the Bi xeons? If so how did you get the DLR's turned off?

Gerryf
15-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi and welcome Andy, you could try : with ignition switched off.....indicate left and pull the flasher towards you (flash position) keep holding whilst you turn on the ignition.....if you hear a bong after 3 seconds ....you're in business.......then switch off ignition.

Won't cost ya anything so well worth a try.

Keithuk
15-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Sorry I forgot to say. Welcome to the forum Andy. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/KStanier/VWwelcome.gif

No I don't have Bi-Xenon's I think its a stupid price £1110 for them when I don't find anything wrong with the standard lights. I think you need a VAG-COM to disable the DRL's. Thats another stupid con when you can switch the DRL's on standard lights with a few switch positions. You can Google for it

To change DRL state:
Left = DRL OFF
1) Headlight switch to OFF,
2) Select Left indicator while
3) Simultaneously holding the stalk hard back towards you to flash the lights while
4) Simultaneously cycling IGN on for a couple seconds - until you hear the DING.
DRLs are now OFF.

Right = DRL ON
1) Headlight switch to OFF,
2) Select Right indicator while
3) Simultaneously holding the stalk hard back towards you to flash the lights while
4) Simultaneously cycling IGN on for a couple seconds - until you hear the DING.
DRLs are now ON.

We have talked about this on here

How do you turn your xenon headlights off!!! (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=91578&)

This is a great forum for TDI diesel troubles its worth joining.

How to disable DRL on your VW Golf (mk6) or set the foglights as DRL (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/drl-disable-vw-golf-jetta.htm)

but again you need the VAG-COM. ;)

andy203
15-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Keith, already tried this one does not work.... Should not use front fogs as Drl's as it is an offence to use them except in aadvise weather conditions

Keithuk
15-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Tried which one?

I said you can't switch them off without VAG-COM. I wouldn't use the fogs as DRL's that just what that link shows as well, its basically American as chittychittybangbang is the founder. its probably legal over there. ;)