PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic vs Manual???

fitz888
13-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Hello, am considering a 3.0 quattro s line tdi estate and would appreciate peoples thoughts on the tiptronic compared with the manual. I'm thinking of getting an 07 model or similar. Thanks

Lateknight
13-10-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm not generally a fan of self shifters, prefering a manual (a personal preference not really relevant here..)
I've driven a couple of 6 speed tiptronics and have been impressed with the box as a whole. Definitely an improvement over the previous generation 5 speeder.
If its an auto you want I'd have no trouble recommending that gearbox. Its tough but silky smooth.

The best thing you can do is try both for yourself. They don't necessary have to be A4s, as the box is used in the A6 also. You might find the manual to be a little 'notchy'.

:beerchug:

john2107
17-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Hi from Essex, I have an 08 3.0TDI quattro A4 S line Avant tiptronic and have nothing but praise for it. Have done 26k miles in it over the last year and a bit - no drama, 40+mpg overall. Not the quickest car I have had away from the lights but the torque from the engine is absolutely amazing for practical overtaking ability. The tiptronic suits the engine perfectly.

Just go for it.

jdp1962
19-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I agree with John from Essex. The V6 3.TDI and six=speed tiptronic are such a good match, they complement each other perfectly.

jamoca
19-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Tiptronic all the way. I couldn't agree more with the comments above.