PDA

View Full Version : Door Opening not recognised

mdauncey
11-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I've a 99 Passat saloon and on opening the driver's door I don't get interior light and if I don't start car the doors relock automatically.
A little while ago the local dealer reconnected wires on floor to convenience ecu.
All other dors and alarm etc working fine.
Is it likely to be wires under carpet again or a broken wire in the door jamb bundle after so much flexing?

yaman
12-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Its more than likely the wires under the carpet again,

Make sure the drain under the battery tray is kept clear.

Regards
Jim

martin1810
12-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Sounds like micro switch in drivers door lock is faulty. The ccm is unlocking the doors but still thinks the drivers door is shut, so relocks the door. This could equally be a wiring fault.

mdauncey
18-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the hints Martin. Had a look under the carpet and found one broken connection - in Green/Yellow and spliced a joint in. Wiring diag suggests that this something to do with left rear door and I hadn't noticed any problem there! Unwrapped all the other connections - They really are rubbish aren't they! But all 'OK' as far as they go - if I had more time I'd have patched these as well.
I now have all inerior and puddle lights under every door except drivers triggered by every door except drivers.
I did get light under drivers once today when using interior latch to release door catch so I'm now think that it must be micro switch in door.
Is this switch available separtately or only as part of a new lock?

yaman
18-10-2010, 12:34 AM
It can also be cracked solder-joints on the circuit-board
within the lock mechanism.

Regards
Jim

Chipped2
18-10-2010, 01:36 AM
I had the same problem on my 2002 passat. Turned out to be the drivers door lock as stated above. I downloaded all I could find on the internet on how to remove door cards etc and lock to inspect the four or five microswitches within that could have the 'dry joints' requiring re-soldering. Mine was a broken microswitch that was not available in the UK and not repairable. Really, take my advice and don't try and to fix any of the microswitches, just buy the new door lock from your dealer and replace. They do take some punishment being the most used door and after 100+k IMO are ready for replacement. (Guess that slamming the door eventually causes the damage).

On my car the drivers door was not showing to be open on the dash display, not telling the alarm system to switch off so sitting in the car sounded the alarm after several seconds if the engine wasn't started. You were OK if you kept still, triggering the alarm only when you moved.

Seem to remember a tiny trigger that had a white rubber cap that had snapped on a microswitch that was different to the others. I have all the downloads and my old lock complete if you want to try and fix yours, if you will pay postage ?

Chipped2
18-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Forgot to say the complete lock from VW cost me nearly £100.