PDA

View Full Version : Question sharan tyres , 2 questions

geejayy
11-10-2010, 01:18 PM
hi guys,

1, is there any great advantage to useing 215 section tyres as opposed to 205's?

2, is it lawful to run 215's on one axle and 205's on t'other , if 215's are on the rear?

DAVE ROBINSON
14-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi ,
got 215s on mine , a 1998 1.9 Tdi , black, originally UK registered. Don't think the extra 1 cm makes any difference but is what it came with and just registered French here with all the grief of the certificate of conformity which allows for a myriad of tyre sizes. Think you'd be technically illegal with different sizes front and back but not sure, but it complicates the spare. Mine has had a German body kit from new , Projectzwo but I just replaced the front struts at 135K miles and took the opportunity to return to normal height f springs as getting on and off ferries gets a bit hairy with no clearance at the front and don't mention speed humps.
Even with stuff replaced and checked mine rattles all the time at the front -- what did you replace to lessen the rattles ? -- got the little drop links although couldn't feel any play in present ones . also I got wishbone bushes but am at a loss as to what is making the constant clattering over bumps. Seems to do a bit less to the gallon with the higher profile with the standard springs now but it could be my imagination. -- Dave Robinson , 86400 St Macoux

SC03OTT
14-10-2010, 08:14 PM
You can run different sizes on each axle, but can't run two different sizes on one axle. Not really sure why you'd want to have two different sizes mind. 205's should be cheaper, so you might as well stick with them.

I'm not really up with my Sharan so don't know what wheel size you are running, so I'm going to guess 16"? 205/55/16 is the most common size in the UK, so easy to come by making them cheap as chips.

geejayy
14-10-2010, 10:20 PM
hi guys and thanx for the input.

originally when purchased it was running 205's on the rear & 215's front
i was told this was unlawful & an mot fail,
as the spare was 205 and one 215 was shot, it was a case of buy 3 215's or 2 205's . to keep things even allround,
later my tyre fitter m8 who has banger raced galaxys/sharans/alhamberas
said the different sizes are leagal as long as bigger size is on the rear but the mismatch in traction due to different sizes increases the chance of understear/overstear depending weather 215's are front or back, bla bla bla.
(he also recons with out the 5 rear seats the back end goes well light and is more likely to step out if cornering hard:biglaugh:)
either way i bought a pair of buget 205's ,but only12000 mile later :mad:
and they were shot. so it was back to the tyre dealers who almost invariably said hmm should be 215's on that car thats all weve listed
in retrospect t'was prob b/shine
coz there is a more limited choice of re-enforced/ xl tyres in 205 + of course they wanted to sell the more expensive 215's

i was asking about mixing sizes coz i was thinking about changeing to 215's alround but just incrementally 1 axle at a time coz the rear tyres are still sound. but as the difference seems to be mainly availiablity of tyres i'll stick with 205's for now

dave, and any one else this may help.
bare in mind i;m no mechanic & rarely know what i'm talking about:Blush2:
but heres a list of faults with my catastrophy of a bus and what made them go away:D

1, consistant loss of power when engine under load accelerateing or hill climb...................- limp mode. will reset and run ok if ignition turned off/on
till the next hill.

vw garage - replaced intake manifold valve as leaking air & non return valve, advised turbo noisey, vanes possibly not getting full travel. recomend treatment to clean .
didn't get chance to as turbo failed b4 i could book it in, bloody expensive repair.

2, windows always misted up and demister /fan barely clears it,
found the awnsers here on the forum:beerchug:
pollen filter replaced + rear washwipe pipe found leaking at joint under carpet clamp in passenger side foot well this also cleared random electrical faults due to water entering electrics under passenger seat. and of course fixed the washer 4 the back window:biglaugh:

3, loud whine from drive train , ie still there when clutch dipped,
35mph- 60mph

replace off side drive shaft & flange coupling.
this i think also cured the bit of steering wheel shake when backing off the throttle

4, clunks and rattles over rough roads /sleeping policemen

replace both anti rollbar link arms

cheerz guys- gord.

the_old_diver
17-10-2010, 08:41 PM
2, windows always misted up and demister /fan barely clears it,
found the awnsers here on the forum:beerchug:

Hi - can you point me to that thread please?

Thanks, OD

geejayy
18-10-2010, 09:28 AM
i can't find any specific one now coz there are loads all across the forum
golfs,passats , sharans ,

a brief synopsis of cures would be-

run the a/c button all the time because the air con dehumidifies the air in the car .

change the pollen filter

check for wet carpets , some people have found leaky bulkheads or blocked drain holes, while mine seemed to be just a leaking rear washwipe hose under the inner passenger side sill, the clamp that pins the carpet down there is a joint there that pulls apart.