PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 S line Built in Sat Nav/TV query

JayA3sline
11-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi all, Just signed up to this and its amazing what information you can learn from your new/old Audi, very imformative indeed.

Anyway i bought an A3 S line (2006) and it came with a built in Sat nav system along with various buttons (TV, phone etc) Although the cars not fitted with a phone just a parrot bluetooth device (very handy).

From reading various threads im aware that obviously the TV isn't a reciever and im also aware that it is illegal to drive watching TV etc, but when i open the screen to reveal the cd slot, it says DVD Rom? I was told when i purchased the car that if a DVD was inserted in the cd slot it would mess the Sat Nav system up? Is this true, if so why would they bother putting TV button on the tv controls? The Sat nav has its own CD that needs to be inserted when using maps but surely if your stationary and wanted to watch a film, surely a DVD could be inserted to watch a film, would this not work?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Jay

Issac Hunt
11-10-2010, 12:33 PM
The unit can recieve TV broadcasts, You need to purchase and install additional hardware though, Can be expensive and picture isnt very good - hence the reason very few people spec'd it when they bought an A3 brand new.

The drive behind the screen is for the Navigation DVD (its not a CD), If you dont need to use the Navigation you can remove the DVD and play music CD's. Navigation will not function with the DVD removed.

Inserting a normal movie DVD will not mess anything up, However it also will NOT play on the screen. the drive is only for Nav DVD and music CD's. Movie DVD's cannot be played (even when car is stationary)

If you want the ability to watch movie DVD's then you need to add an external DVD player that can output its audio/visual feeds to the Nav unit screen.

JayA3sline
14-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks Issac, very useful information. At least i now know i can at least insert a CD into the drive, where as before i was scepticle of even removing the Sat Nav disc.

Cheers

yuan2211
30-10-2010, 01:05 AM
the dvd rom drive is also the only drive that reads an mp3 format cd your cd changer if you have one wont read them