PDA

View Full Version : Question Couple of questions

Axios
11-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Couple of little questions thats been playing on my mind.

First, When i first got my TDI i could hear a turbo whistle. After my 3k miles drive around france and spain, i've lost that whistle. I dont mind losing it but it got me a bit worried that the turbo might be dieing.
Its done 115k and still pulls well. I have not noticed any power loss. It towed a 10foot speed boat on sunday with out any issues.

2nd, Audrey (I've named my car Audrey) does not sit level. the back is lower than the front.
The front shocks was replaced over a year ago and i've had the front upper link bars replaced on both sides 4 weeks ago.
Would any of this cause the front to sit higher or is is the back thats at fault?

3rd, random one this. what makes the clocks colours? Is it the LEDs or the dial face?

4th, I've noticed I got a bit of a coolant leak in the engine. I've been trying to trace for the past couple of days with out much sucess. I every time i think i've found the link it appears to be coming from somewhere else.
I first thought it was the coolant pipe at the back of head.
It then appeared to come from the inlet manifold side right where the head and block meets. That really **** me up.
Then I noticed it was coming further up, from what appears to be the inlet manifold.
And thats as far as i've got. Is there any coolant pipes up there or any thing would cause a coolant leak?

Thanks for you time. :D

I_am_stealth
15-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Well, if you describe your car so precisely no surprise no one has bothered to answer your questions ;)
What car is it? What engine do you have?
You may have a fix geometry turbo which should last forever.
If you have a VNT , AFN 110 and the the rest of the TDI PDs, then it may get a bit dirty, but if you drive it harder a bit every now and again it should last long engough before you get limp modes. If you can be bothered check the play in the propeller shaft.

Change/check the rear coil springs, it is the most likely reason for the back being low.

Colour is not given by the dial face.

Are you sure it is coolant that is leaking? It may be oil from the inlet manifold. If it is coolant it could leak from the temperature sensor.

Axios
16-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, if you describe your car so precisely no surprise no one has bothered to answer your questions ;)
What car is it? What engine do you have?
You may have a fix geometry turbo which should last forever.
If you have a VNT , AFN 110 and the the rest of the TDI PDs, then it may get a bit dirty, but if you drive it harder a bit every now and again it should last long engough before you get limp modes. If you can be bothered check the play in the propeller shaft.

Its a 98 1.9 TDI 110. I dont know the engine code. I'll take a look for it in a bit.

Colour is not given by the dial face. It be the LEDs on the PCB then. hmmm :D

Are you sure it is coolant that is leaking? It may be oil from the inlet manifold. If it is coolant it could leak from the temperature sensor.

Deffo coolant, Its blue and the coolant in the car is blue. I know its meant to be G12+. Its due a service again soon. so i'll get the system flushed out then and get some G12+ put back in.

Thanks, i'll check them bits out.

Axios
25-10-2010, 10:27 AM
the coolant leak was the thermostate housing.
It had a crack in it.
Local part factors unable to get part and local VAG garage shut.
plastic welded the housing for now.
2 hour trip home on the weekend and no coolant leak.