PDA

View Full Version : Springs or Coilovers?

Mr Tibbs
11-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Springs or Coilovers?

Hey guys.

I have a bit a dilemma regarding lowering my car and I would really appreciate some help.

I have a W reg A4 TDI.

I love the car and want to keep it for a long time; the only problem is that the vehicle sits really high. I really want to lower and have started researching options, but I am still stuck…….

First off I would like to say that price is a major factor. As the car is only worth £2000 I don’t want to spend any more than £350 on whatever option I use (this does not include fitting as I will get it fitted for free)

Also the lowering of the car is purely for looks. Obviously I don’t want a terrible ride quality. I also don’t want it to be too stiff or bumpy, I just want it to be lowered. Please note that I very rarely drive the car hard, It’s a 1.9 TDI remember lol!

Anyway……

I keep seeing springs or Coilover kits. Can anyone suggest what I should go for considering the money I have to spend, what I can expect from both types, and any decent brands (within the £350 bracket).

People keep telling me that if I just get the springs alone, I will eventually need to replace shocks too as the stock shocks will become worn more quickly, but can’t I just use new the springs until the shocks go, then get new shocks when I need them?

Any help would be much appreciated. I really don’t know where to start!

P.S

I have seen a full Coilover kit from a bottom end company called F.K. Are they any good?

Eshrules
11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your query, but could you please stop duplicating your post.

Sam
11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I have a Koni SSK on my 2001 Passat (Pics in my sig)

Cost me around your budget 3 years ago. Fitting was free (me!) and relatively simple.

Spend the most you can afford on the best you can afford. Personally I'd avoid coilovers unless you either want to go as low as possible or you plan to raise/lower your car frequently.

£350 for coilovers seems a bit too cheap.

Do both shocks and struts now - W plate is ~10/11 years old, who knows how long they've got.