PDA

View Full Version : New printer advice please

Chappers
10-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I chucked my old Epson inkjet printer out months ago as the nozzles were always blocking up.
Does anyone know if you can get one that doesn't keep blocking up. Its only for light home use which may be why it happens, so i would need one that will stand for weeks without blocking the nozzles.

cheers:beerchug:

bigboss
12-10-2010, 05:47 AM
I chucked my old Epson inkjet printer out months ago as the nozzles were always blocking up.
Does anyone know if you can get one that doesn't keep blocking up. Its only for light home use which may be why it happens, so i would need one that will stand for weeks without blocking the nozzles.

I have a Lexmark Z730 printer which i rarely use it may be slow @times to start printer ,but it never clogs up, in saying that i suggest you check out PC world for advice on which would better suit your needs or check out the computer mags, you definitly would be better to do a thorough search before commiting yourself into buying a problem printer, also check out the Gadget Show web site for their details on all types of items which are tested to destruction, quality etc., hope this is some help.

bigboss
12-10-2010, 06:06 AM
I have a Lexmark Z730 Printer which i rarely use and it never seems to clog yet it can be slow to start printing and quality is adequate, I suggest you check out the Gadget Shows web site for their pretty good detail reports on all kinds of items,their prices etc. you may even consider PC World's advice remember that they are extremely expensive for any items you want to purchase from them or you could check PC Shoppers mag or other related mags, take your time and don't rush into buying another problematic printer. Hope this helps it's not much info i know.Regards

DSG4ME
16-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Epson is still the best, look at the MFD ones, mines a PX700W and it is absolutely superb.

baldbloke
19-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Just bought a Canon MP250 all-in-one (printer/scanner/copier) from Argos to replace my ageing HP Deskjet 3745. It was just as cheap to replace the whole printer than buy a new set of genuine HP ink cartridges!

Worth £30 of anyone's hard-earned dosh I reckon with a 12-month cheap ink cart offer:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6705127/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C144 18968/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701351%7CPrinters+and+fax+machines%7C144 18969.htm

phil miller
19-12-2010, 04:27 PM
ive gotta get a printer, but its a catch 22, you buy a cheap printer to start with but the ink costs loads yet you pay more to start with and the ink is a little cheaper, bit like razors you buy a pack of replacement blades for say £4.99 for 3 yet you can buy a new razor with 4 blades for £4.50 whats that about

A4 Lad
19-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Personally I would go to Cartridge World if you guys have it in England or an indy place and buy one. Over the years, i have went through a **** load of wasted money from pc world and argos junk one. I have one of the ones that takes a toner rather than ink and it is bullet proff !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and loving every minute of it !!!!

vwcabriolet1971
19-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Some printer manufactures only half fill the ink cartridges on new printers. How is that for rip-off ?

A4 Lad
19-12-2010, 11:18 PM
I would well believe it. Its like new cars from the factory needing all the oils and fluids topped up in pdi. Half a litre every car soon adds up to a high saving on expensive performance oils !

Makes you wonder what wee Jimmy from the YTP is topping your £30'000 + car up with !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and loving every minute of it !!!!

Motorway
27-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Back to printers, i had epsons for years and got through about five or six with clogged heads.

about three years ago i bought a good quality (minolta) colour laser for printing photos etc... and a cheap Mono laser for everyday black and white documents.

the minolta cost approx £300 but in three years i have not put any toner in,, the cheaper mono laser a Samsung cost far less at £75 and prints 4500 pages on a toner refill. i also think the print quality is better with the laser.

phil miller
28-12-2010, 12:14 AM
well yesterday i bought (and dont laugh) an advent wifi printer for £29 reduced from £59.99 refills are £10 black colours are £17 and it prints great pics best of all it has a red ring round the front........looks just like my GTI front bumper lol:p

A4 Lad
28-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Have you printed more than the test page yet Phil ? :-) Only joking, sounds like a good deal and perfect for the daughters homework printing. Was it in PC World ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk as I cant be ***** turning on my laptop !

phil miller
28-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Have you printed more than the test page yet Phil ? :-) Only joking, sounds like a good deal and perfect for the daughters homework printing. Was it in PC World ?

hi mate it was currys, it an advent AW10 kodak printer, it has the little screen which tells you how much ink you have left, it takes loads of diff memory cards and is very fast, TBH at that price its a total bargin

A4 Lad
28-12-2010, 11:32 AM
hi mate it was currys, it an advent AW10 kodak printer, it has the little screen which tells you how much ink you have left, it takes loads of diff memory cards and is very fast, TBH at that price its a total bargin

Just reserved one online Phil and going to pick it up today. Thanks for that :-) Its perfect for the daughter as she got a new laptop and keeps having to go upstairs to the printer to print and then all i hear is "DAD, this wont plug in !"

Tractorman
28-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Coincidentally, my Samsung colour laser packed up a fortnight ago. I'd only had it for two years and it replaced another one that was faulty from new! Their service people quoted £87+VAT to look at it - and then spares and labour to fix it! A new one is £130 or so.

I checked all the options, read the reviews and went back to a Canon ink jet (Pixma IP4850) for about £85 delivered. It received top scores in many tests and I have another (slow) Canon elsewhere - it's about seven years old and still works well, so I went back to a firm I could trust!

I've always found Canon reliable (this is my third in nearly 20 years) and the cartridges (five on the new one) are reasonably priced and you change the one colour that is empty - not a full set of colours. The old machine gets left for well over a month without printing (in a hot attic in summer) and, after a couple of rejects (at most), will produce as good a print as ever after the break. The new one says that you have to use it once a month to keep the heads clear.

The new printer gives as good a black text as the laser did, is pretty quick and quiet (for an ink jet) and, to be honest, I can't see me buying a laser again (especially Samsung).

I've never had an Epson, though used to "spec" them for various customers (a long time ago!) as they were so much better for graphics. However, the ones I have come across always seemed to block badly. Epson ink is supposed to cure that, but didn't for me!

And no, I don't work for Canon!

phil miller
28-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Just reserved one online Phil and going to pick it up today. Thanks for that :-) Its perfect for the daughter as she got a new laptop and keeps having to go upstairs to the printer to print and then all i hear is "DAD, this wont plug in !"

ideal mate, we have just got back from the OH mums and so i set up the wifi and had to print off about 40 sheets its fairly quite and fast TBH its also handy cos to stop the kids nicking the paper ive put it up in our bedroom so all in all i think it was £29 well spent :beerchug:

sooty
28-12-2010, 11:05 PM
I hardly use my printer at home but I went for a Kodak printer this time around... They are a bit more expensive upfront but genuine cartrages are as cheap as chips

A4 Lad
28-12-2010, 11:09 PM
ideal mate, we have just got back from the OH mums and so i set up the wifi and had to print off about 40 sheets its fairly quite and fast TBH its also handy cos to stop the kids nicking the paper ive put it up in our bedroom so all in all i think it was £29 well spent :beerchug:

Defo a good buy Phil. The wireless works flawlessly not like my last Lexmart printer which never connected. Thanks for the recomendation ;)

Sulphur-Man
25-05-2011, 10:07 AM
I've had HP printers last couple of times, and they don't get used regularly. I've never had one clog, but then I do try to use the head cleaning program now and again to make sure.

A4 Lad
28-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Mine is still running well

phil miller
28-05-2011, 08:15 PM
mine needs more ink

A4 Lad
28-05-2011, 08:35 PM
lol, so does mine from last night but its still operating on color

dools
25-08-2011, 08:29 PM
For the last few years I've been using a Brother DCP-3400CW with good results. Their printers are fairly cheap to buy, the ink is in separate tanks available very cheaply (compatible), and most multi-function devices have wi-fi and document feeders. Mine also does a cleaning cycle every day, even when switched off. The software can be a bit 'clunky' so I just load the drivers and and use a variety of photo software for scanning.

Cgarcia
30-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Agree with above. The Brother DPC's are good printers and fair value.

Brycie
02-09-2011, 02:00 AM
The printer I use at work is a HP Officejet H470 & I've never had issues with it, it's very compact at 13.4" x 6.4" x 3.2" and producing up to 22 pages per minute it's ideal for my purposes. I've never had to print things in great quality with it to be fair, if I did I'd probably go for an epson but if you're looking for something compact, efficient & that has a battery so you can use it anywhere, it's ideal.

spartacus 68
24-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Epson is still the best, look at the MFD ones, mines a PX700W and it is absolutely superb.

They are excellent printers... but horrendously expensive to maintain. Inside the PX series is a waste ink pad. Every time the printer is switched on it performs a start-up routine that runs a quantity of ink through the machine to save it getting clogged. Eventually the ink pads become saturated and need to be replaced. It's a straight-forward job to remove the waste pads. You also need to download the reset programme from Ebay. I did this, then re-routed a waste pipe to the back of the printer. Lasted a couple of months until I got sick of paying a small fortune for ink. Tried Tesco cartridges, but the Epsom knows the real thing and used to throw up error messages every ink change.

Replaced it with a Kodak ESP 5250. Good quality for what I use it for, and more importantly, under £25 to replace the black and colour cartridges.

rafletcher
20-04-2012, 02:59 PM
I recently chucked a DEll Inkjey, and that had replaced an Epson inkjet. This time I went for a Canon colour laser with wireless - so I can print from anywhere in the house when using the laptop, from the garden when on the iPad, can share it with the wife, and it'll stand for months without clogging. And I mainly use it in monochrome. Ok, so no scanner/copier, but decided that work / library / printshop would do for the rare occasions I need that facility.

Ben
02-12-2012, 10:07 PM
im an epson man myself, my last printer was an epson and so is my current one DX6050. but im now looking to get a new one purely for the wireless function. I'll be able to print from laptop and any wireless mobile phone using the epson app iprint, most leading brands will have apps, some have more than one depending on what you want to do, but the app names may not be obvious so best visis the manufacturers website and follow their links.