PDA

View Full Version : high revs while changing gear

barrymorri
10-10-2010, 03:05 PM
1.8 a4 audi x reg 2001 130.000 miles
i have recently noticed that as i push the clutch down to change gear the revs increase slightly ,its now annoying .
could it have anything to do with the fact that 3mnt ago i was silly enough to mess with things i knew nothing about and took the triangular cover off the Air Mass Meter, [ i think thats what its called] .it sits off the manifold.
after removing the cover i snapped the arm that fits over a knuckle type joint which now i imagine renders the air mas meter as not doing what it should do .
i did not notice any change in performance or fuel consumption so ignored it.
could this have something to do with the high revs .
as you can see , im a bit of a novice .
cheers in advance for any advice.

bear999uk
10-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi mate,

Fear not !! I have the same issue.. After searching every forum known to man, visiting Audi and putting it through VAG. The general consensus is that it is totally normal. This is assuming its only a 300-500 rpm increase. It will also hold for a bit and when you come tom a stop take a couple of seconds to drop to tick over. What helped mine was to disconnect the battery and touch the to car terminals together to clear static in the ECU. Once re connected take it on a short run to settle it in. Im told that its all about smooth driving a gear changes and it does the increase to aid us, however i too found and find it annoying. Hope this helps..:beerchug:

barrymorri
10-10-2010, 10:49 PM
thanks for the advice .
it seems as though you describe it exactly as it is.
when you advise to touch the to car terminals together,
i would imagine you would mean only for a split second once maybe twice.?
cheers again

bear999uk
11-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Yes mate, that's it... A split second or a few it matters not. It just discharges any gremlins. A throttle body reset maybe needed too.. ( really easy, turn key press acc etc etc, cost nowt just five mins of your time ) It's just an audi thing, you can have it re mapped out, what's the point? annoying as it is, once you know that's what it's supposed to do it doesn't seem that annoying. Good luck :). Let me know how you get on.

barrymorri
11-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Will try and give it a go later, need a little more info on how to do the throttle reset though, cheers again

bear999uk
11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
This is how to reset the throttle

Throttle reset

Turn key to on ' light cluster' ( do not start )
Press acc Pedal down for 5 secs
Key off ( important LEAVE IN )
pedal up !!
Wait 2 minutes (patience)
Take key out, put key in start up
Quick drive

:)

Let me know how you get on .

barrymorri
11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
followed your advise and now seems back to normal.
not sure if i needed to Throttle reset but did it anyway .
cheers fella.
top man
ps the air mass sensor being broke does not seem to be a problem .
any idea if there could any hidden underlying problems with that?.

bear999uk
11-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Glad it worked...

As for the MAF, they are common faults and easily replaced. If it aint broke, dont fix it ;-)