PDA

View Full Version : 1.09TDI diesel engine will not turn over

bmcqueen
09-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Looking for a bit of advice really.

I own a 55 plate Golf Plus that done 39K miles. Yesterday evening the engine didnt feel right for about a mile, then I heard a mechanical noise and a few seconds later the engine stalled. The engine will not turn now. When I turn the key the lights etc dip suggesting that the starter motor is drawing current.

I've looked under the bonnet and there id nothing obvious. No pistons sticking out of the engine block or other tell tale signs of serious damage. However it mat still be a serious engine fault.

The question I have is whether to take it to a VW dealer or an independent? If I take it to a main dealer they'll know the engine well and I'm assuming will be able to diagnose quickly (thats the theory anyway). Downside is that they'll probably charge me an arm and leg for doing so.

Anyone out there thats been in a similar situation?

phil miller
09-10-2010, 05:58 PM
hi mate it could be many things but at a guess i think maybe your starter motor stayed engaged and when you stalled and went to turn the key it wont crank due to the starters current position, i think id go to and indy or if you can, take the starter out and check it over, i may be totally off track, but that would explain the mechanical noise you heard (a flywheel would aswell but we wont go there just yet)

bmcqueen
11-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your reply Phil. Your assessment is close to the mark. From initial investigations after taking of the gearbox it looks like the Dual Mass Flywheel has failed. More details to follow.

I've done a bit of googling on this and it looks like thier are quite a number of owners who have had engine failure caused by poor reliability of the Dual Mass Flywheel. :aargh4:

I think a letter to VW Audi is in order. :zx11: