PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control

Lectrician
17-06-2007, 12:48 PM
My climate control seems to be pulsing on and off.

If I set the temp, and put the fan on low, the fan surges on and off constantly. This makes it very cold/warm when the sun is shining through the windows!

I am sure this is a fault, as it didn't bother me when the car was new.

It is a 53 model, 3 yr old.

Any clues, could it be a sensor that needs replacing, or a reset or something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Muts Nuts
17-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Climate control does that, it tries to keep the cabin temp at a constant, my Golf does this untill i turn it to ECON as opposed to AUTO, do you have that option?

Col
17-06-2007, 04:13 PM
There are five main sensors on the clima system.

1, Ambient air, same sensor as the dash temp one.
2, Inlet air, located in the air plenum somewhere around the pollen filter.
3, Sunlight sensor, located in the centre of the screen air vent, this is most likely to be be causing your problem.
4, footwell temp
5, clima unit itself also has a temp sensor and a little fan in it.

As above though, you need to get it read for faults and maybe do some output tests / read some measuring blocks to be sure.

As a rule of thumb, the sensors & flap motors are about £80 each, an expensive game if you have to start replacing them in turn.

Lectrician
17-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the prompt responses!

I have been for a drive this afternoon, and have found that if I press the recirculate button, the system works fine.

Pressing the Econ button would surely turn the cooling off?? I thought that the Econ button literally isolated the compressor from the engine?

The sunlight sensor? Can't say I have noticed one on the dash before? Will take a look to see.

Is there a haynes manual for my Ibiza yet? There wasn't last time I looked. Maybe some info on where to find the sensors in there I suppose!

Seems that climate control is a beast when it goes wrong!

Took it to the seat dealer yesterday for an annual service, and explained the problem to them. They simply re-gased it for £80, and said that would cure it.....It didn't! The drive home proved that!

In my experience with cars these days, most of the problems are caused by sensors rather than the actual electronics!

Thanks again!

rashcupra
09-07-2007, 09:47 PM
econ is econical mode (non aircon) i find that this works better for keeping warm but the aircon is needed to keep the cabin cool