PDA

View Full Version : Please help URGENT!

concho
17-06-2007, 12:11 PM
My oil light has come on on my 2000 (x) A6 2.4 V6 and I need to know what oil to use. It is on Longlife servicing so I know that it will need the New Castrol Edge Oil so I have bought 1 litre of 5W-30 and it says on the back VW 504 00/ 507 00 I dont know what this means but there was 2 other sorts of Edge with different numbers. So I need to know if I have bought the right one or not and if I havnt what one do I need. I have a long Journey I have to make tonight so I need to know this today please.

I did look at another thread about longlife oil and it said that I need to check my hand book print out label (which I dont have I dont think, I mean I have a handbook etc but no label) and look to see if the engine code is QG1 or QG2 and this will tell me if the car has a DFP filter???????

Please help

Jethro
17-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Oil Grades
Vehicles set to Long life service can achieve up to predetermined maximum mileage and time limitations however, the service interval is dependant on driving style and road conditions. Other factors will also affect the distance achieved such as the topping up of oil between services. The use of non Long life oil will reduce the maximum achievable interval. A maximum of 0.5 litre of non Long life oil can be used between service intervals in an emergency. Long life oil is available at most Volkswagen Group outlets as well as through Halfords and the internet.

You need Castrol SLX11 OR SLX111 which I think they are on now. Audi Approval on the front of the label. Not sure If Halfords sell this try a go oil stockists or main dealer.

Think you should be ok with Castrol Edge provided it's 5w-30.

Follow this link click on tools - Which oil should I use? Then just follow the database.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/subsection.do?categoryId=82915271&contentId=6031207

concho
17-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks for that reply, the SLX longlife 2 has now been replaced by Castrol Edge (it says on the bottle). I bought some of this from Halfords yesterday and yes it is 5W-30.
But I am slightly worried about the DFP Filter see thread below

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6172&highlight=long+life+oil

Also the link to the castrol web site helping be with what oil I need to use is limited as it only says about the A6 2.4 V6 se from 2004 onwards and mine is a 2000 model.

Cheers

Steve

Jethro
17-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Steve

If you go back into the Castrol website you will find your engine as this

CarsAUDI (VAG)A6 2.4i, -Avant (javascript:modelClick(170006,'A6 2.4i, -Avant','');) P 1997-

It shows it as an Avant Model but if yours is the Saloon it will be the same information etc. It's the engine your after.

Hope this helps. Didn't realise you couldn't get SLX111 any more? I bought some a few months ago from my oil supplier,will check with him and get back to you. Have you been able to asatain whether your vehicle has a DFP Filter or not and which engine code you have.

If it doubt check with Audi dealer.

concho
17-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Nice one thanks for that, it says it takes 5W030 which it what I bought so I have topped it up with 1/2 L of this. I will look into the DFP filter thing tomorrow with the main dealer.

a8 tech
18-06-2007, 12:09 AM
what do you mean dfp

Ben
18-06-2007, 10:08 AM
dpf means diesel particulate filter. using the wrong oil can damage this. this is why you must use the correct spec vw 507.00 exapmle only. My golf has a label stuck to the engine cover with the spec on it.

a8 tech
18-06-2007, 07:30 PM
682i Thought So But The Car In Question Doesnt Have One