PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Golf wheel noise

The Bear
17-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone, new here but sure I will be visiting it regularly! I've just bought my first VW - Mk3 Golf diesel, L reg.

The car is great, I was after a GTi but couldnt afford the extra £200 on insurance. I have just noticed one problem with it though, there seems to be something knocking or rubbing on something on the front wheels/tyres. When I drive in a straight line or turn right there is this noise that gets louder the faster I go (only really noticable over 30mph), the noise disappears when I turn left. I have taken both front wheels off to see if there is anything unusual but cant notice anything. I have run my hand round and cant feel anything touching the tyres, it sounds as if a mudflap is rubbing, but there isnt one to rub!

The last thing I want to do is take this to a garage and pay them god knows how much to fix something that hopefully is simple to do.

Thanks!
Russ

cairnsie13
17-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Is there any play in the wheel or does it feel rough when turned with the palm of you hand on the top of the tyre?

v6dub
17-06-2007, 12:58 PM
It could be a CV joint???

pubuk
07-07-2007, 06:48 PM
has it ever had drive shaft replaced? you might find there lies the problem loosen hub nut lubricate and re tigten . just might work did for my audi coupe