PDA

View Full Version : RNS 510 firmware update

cdgthreesalmons
08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Just had the Golf's 1st service carried out with no issues.

I did however chat to the mechanic regarding the possibility of retro-fitting the latest firmware update to the RNS510 hard-drive based satnav.

The latest Golfs, Eos, Scirocco etc fitted the RNS510 have voice control as standard together with modified software offering additional functions.

There have been threads on other forums (and think on here sometime ago?) regarding dowloading the latest firmware off the internet - and loading it onto the satnav. Judging by the comments of others it works for some and not for others.

Due to the considerable cost of the satnav (!) I feeled loathed to try "unofficial" internet downloads - we all know what havoc they can cause with home pcs.

I therefore asked if the mechanic could download it officially. Sadly the answer was no! When the car is plugged in at the garage the computer recognises the car, its build spec and software versions. Only if there is a specific VW update for the car can they alter it.

The dealer did say however that if I can provide VW coding for the latest firmware he could see what he could do.

Has anyone any experience of updating to the latest firmware and does anyone know of any official means of getting it.

Seems a shame to have spent so much money on the satnav and not to be able to have the latest software and features.

hartry
11-10-2010, 01:15 AM
dealer bullseye - hit

Issac Hunt
11-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Just download it if you want it. Its easy to do. I updated mine as I wanted SDHC playback.

Voice control is nothing special though, dont forget you will need to add a microphone to make it work (unless you already have bluetooth phone system, even then wiring needs modification)

p3asa
11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
They attempted to upgrade my firmware at my last service even although I bought the car with the RCD510 and not the RNS510.

Reason being that I have the ipod problem where the track name sometimes doesn't change on the display even although it has physically changed. This is especially true if you skip past a few songs. It usually sticks then.

I also have the ipod problem that mutes between tracks playing. It starts to play the next track but then mutes for a second or so while the new track name is displayed on the headunit!!

Anyway when I told them about it at my service they attempted to update the firmware but it was at the latest. Interestingly VW admitted there was a problem.

So you could tell them you are having difficulty with the ipod or your GPS.