PDA

View Full Version : Not so good Vibrations!

pmax
25-03-2006, 04:36 PM
:1zhelp:
I drive a '54 plate Passat TDi 130 Highline and I am experiencing a vibration when driving which can be felt throughout the car. At first I thought it may be the rear wheels out of balance however i have since changed the rear tyres and had them balanced, this has made no difference. :confused:

I have put it into the dealer twice now and after 4 days of scratching their heads they have put a call into VW technical to try to resolve this fault.

Has anyone had a similar fault and if so what was the cure.

The car has done 25k miles and so far i have had 3 front wheel bearings (the first being at 13k miles and the other two at 24k miles), 1 X Flywheel, 1 X cd changer, 1 X rear shocker, 2 X front seatbelts & I have been told that I need rear discs & pads while in for it's first service at 20k. :(

Chilly
26-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Hello,

At what speed does it start vibrating?

I can't offer any answers but obviously VW has a reputation for build quality ( although reading this site tells you otherwise ). This sounds like a lot of new bits for such a new car.

pmax
27-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Hello Chilly

The vibration is present from 30mph up and I can't drive through it. It is most noticeable between 45 -> 55 mph.

And yes it does seem a lot of new parts for a car of this year and mileage.
I bought the car as it was the last of the old shaped Passats thinking it would be pretty bulletproof, how wrong was I?

glynnd
27-03-2006, 06:19 PM
You would be suprised at how many faults a certain japanese manufactuter has (T****A)

shooey88
28-03-2006, 11:17 AM
if u feel it through the steering wheel it would incline coming from front wheels. check wheels for also being buckled aswell as out of balance. is the drive shafts ok? any luck on finding the fault?

pmax
28-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi Shooey,

I did think that this could be caused by a dry inner cv joint but the technician disagreed and opted to change the front wheel bearings. This made no difference. This could also be the reason why the bearings are failing in such a short time. I am sure that they would have thought of this????

I don't think that it is front wheel balance or a wheel out of round because the steering wheel would be kicking whilst driving. The vibration can be felt through the pedals as well as through the seats.

Still no nearer to a resolve, will keep you all posted.