PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A4 TDI 170 S-Line won`t run?

mark1200
07-10-2010, 09:41 PM
A customer has brought his 2.0 tdi s-line to me on the back of an aa truck (oh joy) the engine just stopped while he was driving it now turns over but refuses to fire up ( will run with easy start YUKK ) so i know it,s not mechanical. Fuel is being pumped into & outta the filter. My code reader says there is a power fault to the injectors but i'm having difficulty tracing where the power comes from ie which fuses & relays. there is no power at the injectors but i'm not sure if there is supposed to be with just the ignition on. :1zhelp:

Crasher
07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
It has a faulty injector, an extremely common and well documented issue. Remove the cam cover and unplug the injectors one at a time and try to start it. When it starts, you have identified the faulty injector. Without the special tool, you will break the harness ends as you disconnect them so when you replace the injector you will have to fit a new harness. Both the injector and harness are only available genuine and the injector alone will make a £500 dent in his bank balance.

gaz1965
08-10-2010, 08:21 PM
It has a faulty injector, an extremely common and well documented issue. Remove the cam cover and unplug the injectors one at a time and try to start it. When it starts, you have identified the faulty injector. Without the special tool, you will break the harness ends as you disconnect them so when you replace the injector you will have to fit a new harness. Both the injector and harness are only available genuine and the injector alone will make a £500 dent in his bank balance.

You beat me to it, i was going to say its the dreaded piezo injector rearing its ugly head again

£500 my repair was nearly a grand £937

mark1200
08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
a big thanks to both crasher & gaz1965 it's the injector on no.3 cylinder & on closer inspection the wiring loom is all cracked all ordered for monday. You can learn something new every day n i've been in the trade for years. I have to say though i can't believe someone got paid to come up with this stupid idea i mean an engine dies because 1 injector goes faulty surley there has to be some really big issues on safety there?
Ha Ha sorry bout that little rant a big thanks again

mark1200
08-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Oh forgot to mention you can get injectors for £285+ vat exchange. i expect they'll get cheaper as if there is an exchange someone is able to repair them

gaz1965
08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
a big thanks to both crasher & gaz1965 it's the injector on no.3 cylinder & on closer inspection the wiring loom is all cracked all ordered for monday. You can learn something new every day n i've been in the trade for years. I have to say though i can't believe someone got paid to come up with this stupid idea i mean an engine dies because 1 injector goes faulty surley there has to be some really big issues on safety there?
Ha Ha sorry bout that little rant a big thanks again

A well deserved rant my friend i find it absolutely ridiculous as well
And the cost of repair is nothing more than daylight robbery.
:zx11:

And apparently once one fails the others are sure to follow

patrickhorton
08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh forgot to mention you can get injectors for £285+ vat exchange. i expect they'll get cheaper as if there is an exchange someone is able to repair them

Mark, where do you get these exchange injectors? Audi want over £500 for an exchange one. Are you sure yours are for a 170bhp? The ones for a 140hp are much cheaper.

Patrick

Crasher
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
The £500 I mentioned was for the part. Some injectors are available exchange some aren’t. I have had terrible problems with non VAG injectors.

patrickhorton
09-10-2010, 11:32 PM
The £500 I mentioned was for the part. Some injectors are available exchange some aren’t. I have had terrible problems with non VAG injectors.
And that's £500 for an exchange VAG part! If you wanted to keep the old one to get it refurbed one day, a new non-exchange injector is near to £800!.

I don't think there are any non-VAG injectors available for this car. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Patrick

Crasher
10-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Some are available from Bosch or Lizarte, others are not. It all depends on the part number.

patrickhorton
10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Siemens make (made) the PD 170TDi injectors.

a8 tech
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
correct, now audi use denso (owner by merc) for the 2.0 common rail