PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A3 timing belt problems

ford776
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Hello chaps,

I've got a 55 plate 2.0 T FSi quattro (8P) with air con.I decide to replace my timing belt this afternoon. I printed off the instructions from AutoData and off I went. All was going well until it came to the point of removing the engine mount bracket. Auto data said 'you may need to raise or lower the engine slightly'. I raised it lowered and lowered it and I can't get the F##king thing out:zx11:. In the end I put everything back together because I need the car in the morning.

Has ever done one and how do you get the engine mount bracket out?

Please help.

Andy

VAGMAN54
05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
ha,ha,ha they are a ****** ive not done an a3 yet but i have done some golfs and a couple of skodas,the golf one a gti i had to take the drive shafts off because they kept pulling the engine back then i had to jack it up untill i dare not go any further then it only just came out..........the skodas i didnt drop the shafts but it only just came out but i did drop the middle support bar off all the fsi and tsi engines ....why oh why vw did that i dont know but from 2006 they have gone back to a split cover.............

ford776
05-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that. I'll drop the middle bar first a try it, hopefully won't have to do the shafts. I'll let you know how I get on.

phil miller
05-10-2010, 07:20 PM
total nightmere but do able without removing the shaft, it is also poss to push the mount backwards so it is out of the way enough to do the belt but is still in the bay, good luck mate

VAGMAN54
05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
how do you get it to do that phil ?its not a split cover the mount sits inside the cover ?

ford776
05-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Phil, I spent nearly 3 hours trying to get the bracket out and I tried to do it with the bracket still in but there is a cover bolt behind the bracket and you can't get to it.

phil miller
05-10-2010, 07:37 PM
**** it sorry same old phil read the 2.0lt bit and thought of the diesel, which is also a total mere

sorry :Blush2:

VAGMAN54
05-10-2010, 07:45 PM
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: dam it phil i thought you had just made life easier !!!!!! oh well carry on swearing when one turns up.....:aargh4:

ford776
26-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Time for an update.

I've managed to get the engine mount out and change to the timing belt. The`only way I could get the engine to move enough, was to disconnect the drive shafts, bottom engine steady and the prop shaft. Absolute nightmare of a job, I almost gave it to audi to do.

VAGMAN54
26-10-2010, 08:03 PM
for me vw have gone totaly backward with that idea ........absolute rubbish engineering and time consuming ..........................lots of swearing at every one i have done although from 2006 on ive only come across split covers which is some progress but you still have to swear at that mounting...........................