PDA

View Full Version : rear brake backing plate

elliebumpkins
04-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi there had car in for service only to be told that it needs a new rear brake backing plate , Had a look and it is corroded and broken , surely this should not happen on 55 plate Golf plus . Dealer wanted £90 to replace it . :aargh4:

tygertyger
11-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi not sure if you had any reply to this message but we have a 55 plate Mk 5 Golf and I have just been told by the MOT tester that one of mine is corroded into a hole and the other is on its way. Like you I am not sure they should have gone this early.

phil miller
11-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Very common this, when i upgraded the brakes on my 04 TDI both of mine were shot so i removed them and havent bothered to replace them

Alan G H
11-03-2012, 10:30 PM
If this is the thin cover behind the disc, it is only a dust cover, and will make no noticeable difference to the brakes if it is rusted or even missing. Indeed, many cars do not have these fitted from new on the front.
It is NOT an MOT fail point. The brake back plate is what the brake shoes and wheel cylinders mount onto on drum brakes, this is much thicker, and takes many years to rust away.