PDA

View Full Version : Mass Air Flow Meter, Help needed!!!!!!!!!!!

Anubis8
03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
hi there, i have a 1.9 TDI 130 sport, audi a3 2001. about march i was was cleaning my air filter and wen i got back in my car it felt like it was in limp mode. i took it to a mechanic and it turns out it was a faulty mass air flow meter. he replaced it and the car was fine. at the beggining of june the mass air flow broke again. so i went and bought another and replaced it myself. the old one was sent off to be tested they said it was broken.it was fine until last night wen my brother took it out to pick up some friends and i got a call saying it was in limp mode again. it sounds like the same problem but i want to know why it keeps breaking. anyone had any experience or know what the problem might be? its doing my nut in and is going to get expensive if i keep just buying another MAF meter every couple of months.

Anubis8
13-10-2010, 11:14 PM
anyone???

A4 Lad
13-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Use a genuine one. If its a fuel parts one, throw it over the hedge !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aliS
14-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Second that, use genuine parts. You'll never know (really) if a cheapo will work properly leading you to thinking it is something more sinister.

When you said cleaning your air filter, do you mean just banging the dirt of a paper one or have you got something else? Are you using something you shouldn't be to clean around the box like a solvent, oil, etc... ?

NickPicks
14-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I was going to ask about the "cleaning the air filter". You shouldn't need to clean a paper air filter, just replace it.

If it's a K&N or something, then I've heard that the oil can damage the MAF.

Anubis8
14-10-2010, 08:54 PM
i have a pipercross one in but its also gone with a paper filter in it. im using a bosch part.

aliS
14-10-2010, 09:04 PM
From the MAFF back have you checked for leaks, cracks and perished hoses? If air is entering the engine that is not regulated this can give you similar problems. The smallest of holes can cause the biggest problems. Could be a quick fix if this is the case. I had the elbow hose to the rear of my MAFF on my Mk2 Gti bodged with silicaset and that lasted for years! I had a pipercross panel in my E30 320i with no problems. I don't think that the aftermarket and uprated cleaners cause problems but the oils nick mentioned seem to crop up time and time again for being troublesome.

Anubis8
16-10-2010, 02:29 PM
i have found a leak in the exhaust just after the cat. could this be causing any problems?

aliS
16-10-2010, 06:07 PM
It will have an effect but it wil be minimal/neglegable. Its mainly air leaks between the MAFF and the inlet manfold that would give you trouble.