PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Possible gearbox Problems?.

justabloke77
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
:1zhelp: Hi Eveveryone, Great forum. Really hope I can get some help here..
I recently bought a 56 plate A3 sportback sport and have bloody loved it! However I did notice on the drive homeand since that the shift from 3rd to 2nd was a bit lumpy and the whole gearbox wasn't as silky smooth as my last 2001 A3 3door. I have always put this down to just being a different car and accepted that some things will be different.
I was out today and the shift from 3rd to 2nd has developed an intermittent grind. Its fine for all other changes but the change down from 3rd to 2nd definately has issues. The carriage in the gear lever is a bit rough and the grind is only momentary. The car was serviced this week so naturally I'm suspicious that something at the garage has helped surface this problem.
I would really appreciate some advice around what this could be, what it might cost to fix, worst case scenario etc..
Thanks..

phil miller
02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
hi mate by the sounds of it you have a worn syncro ring, what milage has the car covered? i very much doubt it has anything to do with the service, unless they changed the gearbox oil and refilled with the wrong grade (doubt it tho)

justabloke77
02-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi, Thanks for the quick response!
It has done 92000 miles. If it is the syncro ring, what would it cost to get fixed?.

phil miller
02-10-2010, 11:54 PM
dont know mate but its a strip down and rebuild of the gearbox, prob be about 6ish hours work to remove rebuild and refit the box

justabloke77
03-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Great. Sh!t-fit advised of a leaking shock this week also so my friendly local garage will love my forthcoming labour costs...

justabloke77
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi,
I have been out in the car today hoping I could really investigate the symptoms ie When it happens, engine hot or cold, revs and speed etc. Apart from the gear lever being slightly lumpy in its carriage, everything was fine..
Would your opinion still sit with the same issue? Is it something that could turn really bad if I dont have looked at straight away?
Thanks.

roundwoodgarage
03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I woulds get the gearbox oil changed, as they are 'sealed for life' and will not of been done yet. Make sure the garage drain the old oil into a clean container, then you can check for contamination.

pscocoa
07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
my sons A3 2.0 S line Auto DSG (2007) is doing the same thing - it has been in and out of dealer under warranty for last 4 months and they are changing everything and reprogramming apart from replacing gearbox - they are fighting like mad to avoid doing the right thing. Disappointing that we are now going to have ot escalate ourselves beyond dealer.

pscocoa
15-10-2010, 10:54 PM
gearbox now being replaced and A5 on loan until it is sorted