PDA

View Full Version : Question Fabia dash problems, no rev or speedo

highlandbiker
02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi folks,

Bought a 57 Fabia 2 a few months back, car has run greta until today. Wife took it into town and the speedo and rev counter died. Had a look when she came home and found the following symtoms,

1 ignition on all idiot lights come on but as normal but when the normal lights go out so does the coil light as well.
2. Car starts ok, but no rev counter.
3. Indicators work but no repeater lights or audible sound.
4. Car runs ok no warning lights but no speedo either.

Checked all the fuse's no problems there. Did a bit more checking and...

1 With the hazard lights on, ign off - ind work, repeater lights work, audio works.
2. Switch on ign, hazards still work until the idiot lights go off then no repeater lights and no audio.
3. Swict on an indicator, then ign and ind will work while idiot lights are on then as above.

Have done a bit of google searching and found some reference to a similar problem caused by a voltage reg in the instrument cluster but from 2000 - 2004

Would appreciate any advice help or schematic

cheers Alex

Crasher
02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
It probably needs a new cluster or that one repairing but if it is sent away for repair, the car will not start.

highlandbiker
03-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Not sure it's the cluster itself, did a quick test last night while out. Switched off the ignition while still moving, then turned on ign again and speedo worked until the ign lights went out.

To me it looks like there is a sequence when the ign is turned, lights come on, fuel pump pressure's up etc, now at this point something is not happening a relay or voltage but the cluster itself does seem to work.

VAGMAN54
03-10-2010, 11:23 AM
like crasher has said the problem could be the cluster,the symptoms you have relate to the cluster and that is a fairly common fault i have done two or three, the main dealers i get on well with say its pretty common as well....................

highlandbiker
07-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi Vagman,

Took the car to the dealer to arrange a check and everything started working again, obviously an intermittant contact or dry joint. Do you have a schematic for the cluster or can you point me in the right direction to repair it myself,

thanks Alex

Crasher
07-10-2010, 11:00 PM
I suggest you send it to BBA Reman for repair.

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=1027 (http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=1027)

Repairing those panels is extremely skilled work often involving component replacement and is not within the scope of even a skilled DIY mechanic in my opinion. If you damage the dash the car will no longer start and will have to be recovered to Skoda for a new genuine dash to be installed and coded in.