PDA

View Full Version : Mk 5 Golf Gti tyres and tunning questions

toph_001
16-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi

The front tyres on my Mk 5 Gti are coming to the end of their natural life, they are bridgestone potenza RE05OA R18 92Y's. They have lasted extremely well, over 20,000 miles in two years! And performed excellently, massive grip and great turn in, but are a little noisey (a small sacrifice).

I am looking to change them soon and wanted to know if anyone had changed them to another brand and if so which and what were the wear and performance results?

Also on this type of car is it worth swapping front to rear to get a bit more life out of the set?

One other question.

I am also thinking of a performance upgrade, but will wait till my warranty runs out! i have been looking at Morego and MTM who can both offer about 45 BHP increases with good fuel economy and reliablity results. Has anyone had experience of these converstions? or would you recommend any others?

All input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Space Cadet
26-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Everyone has their favourites, but I really like Goodyear Eagle F1’s, fantastic grip both in the dry and wet and they’ve got a new version out called GSD3 since I last had them. Got miles to go on my current tyres but when they wear out I’ll definitely replace with these.

Definitely worth swapping fronts to back though before you do.

Had a MK5 GTI a year or so ago and had the Revo re-map, if you use only 99 Ron petrol like I do you can have the slightly higher ‘boost’ and ‘advance’ (I think it was) settings and potentially 65/70 bhp with an up rated non-oiled panel-filter (it sucks in so much air with the remap) such as Pipercross.

I went to Big Boys Toys in Lakeside who did the re-map and fitted the filter, very impressed with the results.

(Am taking my new A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line there in a couple of weeks, wont see anything like 65/70 bhp gain though as its obviously only normally aspirated, probably ‘only’ about 20 bhp)