PDA

View Full Version : Golf third gear crunching

Rambo
16-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know what may be the problem with my Golf (02) 130 bhp 1.9TDI. When revving engine and going from 2nd to third gear I get some crunching as if it wants to jump out of gear. It also happens from 4th to third sometimes again at high revs. It doesn't always happen though. Often when colder it doesn't.:confused:

Is this a clutch problem, is it something to do with the engine - needs a tune? or more serious with the syncromesh on the gearbox - I've heard this is a weakness on the gearboxs?

Any ideas really grateful.

Thanks

Rambo

Jugga
16-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know what may be the problem with my Golf (02) 130 bhp 1.9TDI. When revving engine and going from 2nd to third gear I get some crunching as if it wants to jump out of gear. It also happens from 4th to third sometimes again at high revs. It doesn't always happen though. Often when colder it doesn't.:confused:

Is this a clutch problem, is it something to do with the engine - needs a tune? or more serious with the syncromesh on the gearbox - I've heard this is a weakness on the gearboxs?

Any ideas really grateful.

Thanks

Rambo
hmm sounds like u've got worn synchros 2 me, i would try not 2 shift 2 quikly till i get this sorted,

Rambo
16-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks, but it's not the speed of change and I've just been out, engine warm and changed from 2nd to third high revs expected it to crunch and it didn't!

So still confused.:confused: :confused:

cairnsie13
16-06-2007, 04:36 PM
It would not matter how fast you changed if syncro was worn it would still grind. Changing slower may just help to preserved the teeth on the box. How many miles has i done?

golf tdi 02
16-06-2007, 04:39 PM
id change the oil in the g-box no one ever does this so start here might not be enough oil
but yes it sounds like a syncro has gone if so get this done asap it will only cost more in the long run
at the mo you only have to change this syncro
good luck and happy hunting;);)

Rambo
17-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Its done about 55000 miles. Is it easy/expensive to replace the synchro? As you say I'll start with the gearbox oil but will I be saving up for a new synchro for a long time?

golf tdi 02
23-06-2007, 01:30 PM
firstly the syncro will have to be fixed by a garage or someone who knows what they are doing its nots left over when finished
this is bad
my golf tdi is on 215k the syncro has been going for over 2 years so i think i need a g-box
the crunching is driving me crazy

;);)

craigvwred
25-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I think this may be happening to my mk3 golf, when changing gear and taking foot off the clutch she seems to crunch and judder directly underneith the gearstick.. is this expensive? I thought it may be the clutch going, thats £300 to get fixed around these parts.. but if its something else could it possibly less awful?

Cheers guys,,

ps: great forum.. big help!