PDA

View Full Version : Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning

aceofharts414
30-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi have had the engine management light come on recently (55 plate Golf TDI 140) and after reading / VAG com scan it appears to be the intake manifold flap seized open:

19557 - motor for IMF (v157): open or shorted to gnd
p3101

19558 - motor for IMF (v157): No signal
p3102

My plan was to take it off and give it a clean next week. Does anyone know the exact tools I would need, as my toolbox is limited now I have moved away from my dads place? Heard its only allen keys, but uclear what size.

Carb cleaner sounds like the reccomended fluid to use, can anyone cofirm this?

Thanks

Crasher
30-09-2010, 01:28 PM
5-mm allen key. I think you will find it a waste of time cleaning it, I know other people have succeeded but it has never worked for me. Don’t forget to replace the blown fuse.

aceofharts414
30-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks, might clean the EGR valve and manifold while i'm there.

Will let you know if I have any luck mate ta, fingers crossed!

phil miller
30-09-2010, 08:36 PM
ive never had any luck cleaning them, GSF sell them for £165 which is a fair amount cheaper than genuine

Crasher
01-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Cleaning the EGR valve and manifold is worthwhile, I use paint stripper and traffic film remover plus a lot of hard scrubbing. In my experience you will have to fit a new manifold flap.

aceofharts414
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I cleaned both the IMF and the EGR valve the other day. Do I need to replace the fuse again to check if it has made any difference?

When I took it to a local indep VW garage for the VAG com scan they replaced the blown 10amp fuse with a 15amp. Is this likely to have blown?

I didn't have time to take the manifold off. Is it easy to remove? Looked like there was about 8 hex bolts to losen on the front of it, it is as easy as that?

I think the gasket on the EGR valve to manifold connection is a bit stretched as there is a slight hiss of escaping gas. Will probs replace the gasket when I take the manifold off and/or replace the flap motor.

Buzzoff
12-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Roughly how long will it take to change the manifold flap assy?
I guess it would make sense to clean the egr valve too while I'm there, what gaskets would need to be replace when removing the egr(I would like to replace the if required to save any further strip downs)?

Oh what is best to clean the egr valve something like carb cleaner or petrol?

Cheers

nevo
12-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Take the flap and egr off together and split them on the bench its easier that way,as above, the flap gets oil carry over in the electrics and screws up the signal back to the brains,its not the crap in the visible areas, its behind the crimped cover.its easy to do with minimal tools.

aceofharts414
12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Roughly how long will it take to change the manifold flap assy?
I guess it would make sense to clean the egr valve too while I'm there, what gaskets would need to be replace when removing the egr(I would like to replace the if required to save any further strip downs)?

Oh what is best to clean the egr valve something like carb cleaner or petrol?

Cheers

Its pretty quick, I reckon I could do it in less than half an hour now I know what I am doing.

Take off the engine cover, remove the air intake pipe to give extra room, unclip hose from bottom of IMF assembly. There are 2 cap screws secruring the EGR valve to the manifold, 2 securing IMF to EGR valve and 1 big one at the back that goes through both parts and in the the manifold.

I cleaned mine with paint stripper and a few squirts of WD40, though I hear traffic film remover is good. I saw a bottle of this in the local pound store the other day so might use that next time when I replace the IMF.

As far as gaskets, there is one between the EGR valve and manifold that I need to replace. Called the dealer and he needs a serial number to determine which one. If you buy a new IMF I believe it comes with the gasket for between that and the EGr valve.

Buzzoff
12-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Cheers for that, I guess I will need a new gasket between egr and the manifold if I am stripping it all down?
Regarding "traffic film remover " is that available for the usual outlets such as euro, gsf or halfords (will it be found in the car cleaining area)?

Oh I have also found this on the web, looks very helpful:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/58985-help-p3103-v157-motor-intake-manifold-flap-egr-valve-how-do-i-solve-2.html

Turbokiisseli
10-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Mine is making a buzzing noise when the ignition is turned on. I cleaned my flap and EGR a while back with diesel and brake cleaner, but it didn't make any difference. I have no codes though, so I think I'll just leave it alone as long as it doesn't start making any trouble.

tmagnet
17-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Mine is making a buzzing noise when the ignition is turned on. I cleaned my flap and EGR a while back with diesel and brake cleaner, but it didn't make any difference. I have no codes though, so I think I'll just leave it alone as long as it doesn't start making any trouble.
Mine started buzzing suddenly a few weeks back. It did get to a point where it would constantly buzz even with the engine running. VW just changed it under warranty though, didn't bother trying to clean it up. The car did shudder quite alot when I was turning it off so presume it was sticking open