PDA

View Full Version : Coming in from the cold.

erisaman
29-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Joined the forum just over 3 years ago, had a massive heart attack just under 3 years ago, was mightily offended by Volkswagen two years ago and swore I'd never buy another VAG product (the offence brought us very close to litigation - a long story).

So, what has brought me here today?

Congratulations all you CC owners, the Passat CC is the one car that has persuaded me to look again at VAG in general and VW in particular. I saw a CC for the first time just last week and now I'm reading up on, and absorbing, just about every scrap of information I can find.

But hey, one thing is missing - at least, I've not found it yet - and that is a gallery thread, a thread devoted to pics of your pride and joy, preferably with info on the actual colour featured - I've never seen a brochure with such poor colour renditions, they let the whole presentation down drastically. Can you enthusiasts show them how to do better?

Good to be back - Dave (erisaman).

Scooby-Doo
30-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Take a look at the used CCs for sale on VW website,plenty of photos but most look as if they were taken by 8 year olds.

erisaman
30-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Scooby Doo - Just been reading your posts on another forum, and I reckon I'm walking in your footsteps. I too, went to Sinclair Swansea this week and also visited their Bridgend branch.

I've been looking at the VW website and the Used Car locator - but find that so many cars look the same - Island Grey and Iron Grey seem to be one and the same in such small pics, and both colours vary according to lighting conditions. In fact, wending my way through the Vortex forum, I am finding pics posted randomly, but to good effect as they are much larger and more effective.

I've lots to learn but, if I'm spared, I have plenty of time to discover all.

P.S. That first-ever sighting last week? It was in Carmarthen, Reflex Silver, very, very nice :).

Scooby-Doo
30-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm a big fan of silver and when I went to Sinclairs in Gorseinon they had two new silver ones ready for delivery the following day and they looked great.My other half isn't keen on silver so went all the way to South Hereford VW to see a black with cornsilk interor and was smitten straight away.My view on the colours are :

colour is very much a personal choice.

Where in S wales are you from ?

alanwmcc
30-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi You Two. Seems there is a bit of a Cambrian flavour to this thread. As of yesterday I am the proud owner of a Deep Black DSG 170 GT with truffle leather, xenons etc. If you want a proper look and a spin around the block in one, without a VAG salesman breathing down your neck I'm more than happy to oblige. Im in North Cardiff. Drop me a pm. I can see a Welsh meet coming off:beerchug:

erisaman
03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Thank you both - I've been away for four days, down in Tenby, hence delay in my response. Weather was atrocious, as you can imagine. Being west of the Ryder Cup venue we took a soaking, so much so, I took a drive over to Sinclair Neyland, and guess what, they had an Island Grey in the showroom, and a newly delivered Deep Black in the car park, complete with Corn Silk Beige upholstery. Seeeing the two cars almost side by side satisfied me on quite a few counts - the Corn Silk is a nice beige (someone suggested it was a bit 'yellowy' - but not to my eyes, I love the colour) and will be a definite when I make my purchase.

I would like Reflex Silver but it's not available with Corn Silk so that's why I'm looking at other colours. Without hiding behind my recent health problems, I like Silver because it doesn't show the dirt so quickly, I would love Black but fear it shows every mark, and am wondering about Island Grey to act as a happy medium. But in truth, being neither 'here nor there', I will probably go for Black.

I had arranged to go to South Hereford later this week, to look at a 170 GT, Black with Corn Silk, ex-demo, just 4000 miles. After reading the ad and the spec over and over - it came as a shock when I 'discovered' it was a manual. How did I miss that I wonder.

I have great regard for the DSG box (fitted on both our Audis) and will not consider a manual after all these years.

BTW - I'm in Neath, near Swansea, with a son in Lisvane, Cardiff, so not far from you alanwmcc. And yes please, I'd love to have a look at your car and a trip around the block would be the icing on the cake.

Whereabouts are you Scooby Doo? Again, a Welsh meet could be fun :).

Thank you both.

alanwmcc
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Don't get a manual Erisaman. The DSG box is superb and thats coming from someone who hates automatics. Also make sure the car has park assist. I have spent the evening with my 20 yr old son standing on the kerb testing it getting into tighter and tighter spaces. It really is breathtakingly good.Last night i let it back in between a new Lexus and an S Merc in the pouring rain with terrible streetlights. I would never have attempted it myself. You can telll the Ryder cup is on here at the moment.:bigeyes:
I tried to pm you my address details but as i havent posted more than 10 posts it will not allow me to. If you can pm me your email address i can do the same and we can get together and i can show my new toy off :D. I live in Cyncoed about 5 mins from your son.

gamichea
04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I would like Reflex Silver but it's not available with Corn Silk so that's why I'm looking at other colours. Without hiding behind my recent health problems, I like Silver because it doesn't show the dirt so quickly, I would love Black but fear it shows every mark, and am wondering about Island Grey to act as a happy medium. But in truth, being neither 'here nor there', I will probably go for Black.

Autumn Brown?

I can vouch for its ability not to show the dirt. Not sure if its available with the beige which I do not like. I'm in the "its slightly yellowy" faction.

erisaman
04-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks gamichea - I can well imagine Autumn Brown not showing too much dirt :).

I've found a series of pics on the US forums featuring a Mocha Brown, which, I think, may equate to our Mocca Anthracite. Again a Brown colour in general, but equally so, a colour which apparently they are not producing in 2011. Of course, the same (US) Forum states that Island Grey has also been discontinued for 2011 :aargh4:.

gamichea
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks gamichea - I can well imagine Autumn Brown not showing too much dirt :).

I've found a series of pics on the US forums featuring a Mocha Brown, which, I think, may equate to our Mocca Anthracite. Again a Brown colour in general, but equally so, a colour which apparently they are not producing in 2011. Of course, the same (US) Forum states that Island Grey has also been discontinued for 2011 :aargh4:.

Autumn Brown is just a light brownish silver. I found my Granite Green B6 saloon was equally good at not showing the muck. It seems to be a property of silvery earth colours.

I suspect the Mocha would be in the same category as black for showing muck & marks.

I colour I do not like on the B6 saloon & estate is Shadow Blue. I was surprised to find that to me it looks very good on the CC. Just goes to show how personal this colour choice lark is.

erisaman
04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
I colour I do not like on the B6 saloon & estate is Shadow Blue. I was surprised to find that to me it looks very good on the CC.

Just goes to show how personal this colour choice lark is.

You are so right, as has been said by others. Actually, my wife loves Blue in all things, clothes, cars etc etc - so I've not shown her the pics of Shadow Blue, I just want something different (her current car being Mauritius Blue!).

Scooby-Doo
04-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I had arranged to go to South Hereford later this week, to look at a 170 GT, Black with Corn Silk, ex-demo

That's the one I went to see before finally deciding on a colour combo,it's a manual and hasn't got the sat-nav either.I've not been keen on auto since I had a"C"class merc a few years ago,nice to drive but couldn't quite live with the pause on take up,had a few narrow shaves pulling out onto roundabouts.I realise the DSG is a different type of auto but after spending the last 5 years on the Audi TT forum I've heard too many tales of woe with missbehaving DSGs and one of the main gripes being the pause on take up so it was a definite no-no for me.On colour,there's a Mocha anthracite parked in the car park next to my office and I just can't get to like it at all.If you're looking at blue then theres a new option of Moonlight Blue which is a very dark shade of blue,if you look at the VW Germany website it's the car they feature in their "Exclusive" edition.

erisaman
04-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks Scooby Doo - that's very interesting about the Moonlight Blue, I had assumed it was light blue in the same range as the Iron Grey. I shall now turn to the German web site and explore further :).

BTW - did you order from South Hereford - or sticking with Sinclair's? I don't think I've caught up with your locality yet, you also Cardiff based? Or more westerly and coming from Swansea area?

Scooby-Doo
05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Down West,Carmarthen.Ordered at Sinclair's.