PDA

View Full Version : Winter's Here Just Ask The Start Stop!

Hammy969
29-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Evening All

It appears winter is here....... my A4 has now decided that it is to cold to switch off for any length of time or at all!

Has anybody else been subject to the Audi weather forecaster???
Watch out Audi will be charging extra for this function soon!;)

I'm in the South of Scotland

Ham:D

juniperz
29-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Yep, I noticed that this morning. And that was the south of Wales...
I have got used to it stopping so it is going to feel like a very wasteful winter...

a8 tech
29-09-2010, 09:22 PM
without going deep into the start stop and its woes one important prerequisite is engine temperature.The start stop takes nearly all its data from the engine ecu and it has to be at normal temperature before it even considers to operate.

juniperz
29-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I can understand that, but it is a bit inconsistent even when it is warm. The car is in for its first service (c19000 miles) in a couple of weeks - are there any parameters that can be tweaked to make it stop a bit earlier and start a bit later? (I would be incredibly surprised!)
Also hoping they will do the mirror dip and locking beep (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=493152&postcount=19) too...

a8 tech
29-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I opt for the turning off function lol
As for long code changes I suggest you take a copy of the code/adaption changes as dealer vas diagnostic does not support long code helper so the technician has no reference information for the changes, however they can be changed using self diagnostic function byte change but if any future software updates are run then the svm comparison test will detect the code changes and ask the technician to allow the vas server to return the vehicles control units to the original codes as it left the factory.

Its all well and good tweaking systems or retrofitting but if future updates to improve or rectify software versions of the networks are run then these can fail due to the server seeing the vehicle build status as incorrect.
The fitting of the phone prep from said e bay sellers/fitters is causing havoc in the dealers for recall actions and software updates.

Not wishing to be a spoil sport but there are a lot of people playing with things without thought of the consequences when real updates are required to resolve complaints

Having recently dealt with a forum fiddler and his random changes it becomes clear to those who fix vehicles for a living that some vcds owners appear to come across as arrogant mostly IT people who seem to think they know better, well its amusing to me owning vcds and vas pc plus numerous other software programs as well as working within the dealer network.I undertake retro fits as a hobby out of interest in network systems but also know my way around long coding, for the retro fit to be safe and where possible use the correct procedure to update the vehicle systems correctly so as not to affect any updates.

If you wish to add cruise control then after installing the fitting list of the car can be updated using svm code for approved retro fit which allows the server to change the relevant control units coding and update the vehicles build status so every time the vehicle connects to a vas tester there will be no issues

Moan over lol

juniperz
29-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks Mr Tech - glad you got that off your chest :D
I actually meant parameter changes that the dealer could do - I don't have VCDS, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't mess with something like Stop / Start! (I do though, plead guilty to working vaguely in IT :o ).

a8 tech
29-09-2010, 10:15 PM
love It, just take a copy of the changes you require and ask the tech if he will change them for dipping mirror etc, they may not carry them out for not understanding as its not a taught thing from vag group.Fiddle away but always store and record your changes for future reference, as for start stop I think it would be difficult to find the activation login to allow access to the adaption channels and I'm sure ross tech are miles behind with there information for start stop as the engine control units have changed there diagnostic protocols from 2009 onwards thus most information is now held in the obd functions (I do talk lots of woffle and poo)

juniperz
15-10-2010, 04:54 PM
love It, just take a copy of the changes you require and ask the tech if he will change them for dipping mirror etc,...
Well today was service day, and I didn't get anything changed :confused:
They claimed that you could not do the n/s mirror drop on my specific car (July 2009, 2010MY 2.0TDi143 SE Exec) and that they are unable to do the alarm beep on lock because this is now illegal in Germany, and since the update is done through the German servers, it cannot be done. Sounds like a load of you-know-what to me! :mad:

SC03OTT
15-10-2010, 05:11 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22709

Post 1, line 5. So you never know, it might be true about the German servers.

juniperz
15-10-2010, 05:15 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22709

Post 1, line 5. So you never know, it might be true about the German servers.
That ties up. It was the mirror-dip that I was more annoyed about though...

SC03OTT
15-10-2010, 05:18 PM
That ties up. It was the mirror-dip that I was more annoyed about though...

I know with VW's you have to have a certain 'pack' (convenience pack maybe) for the mirror dip to work. I don't have said pack, and I know I can't just program my mirror to dip as it doesn't have the motor. Could be the same with Audi. But I really don't know for sure.

MFGF
16-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Well today was service day, and I didn't get anything changed :confused:
They claimed that you could not do the n/s mirror drop on my specific car (July 2009, 2010MY 2.0TDi143 SE Exec) and that they are unable to do the alarm beep on lock because this is now illegal in Germany, and since the update is done through the German servers, it cannot be done. Sounds like a load of you-know-what to me! :mad:

The mirror dip info does tie in with the results we got when we tried to enable this feature on GolferPete's 2010MY Avant 2.0TDi 143 Multi S line. No matter what changes we made to the passenger door control module, the mirror steadfastly refused to dip, so in the end we put the coding back to standard as it appears it can't be done on cars without memory seats.

The chirp on lock can be done easily with VCDS though. A member nearby with VCDS should be able to help. As A8 says above, just remember to take a note of the original coding before you change anything!

Cheers!

MF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyUK
16-10-2010, 10:30 AM
The mirror dip info does tie in with the results we got when we tried to enable this feature on GolferPete's 2010MY Avant 2.0TDi 143 Multi S line. No matter what changes we made to the passenger door control module, the mirror steadfastly refused to dip, so in the end we put the coding back to standard as it appears it can't be done on cars without memory seats.

I activated it on my MY2010 Avant S-line without memory seats.

I do however have the electric dimming & folding mirrors so maybe that's the difference. :confused: