PDA

View Full Version : Audi s5 steering rack

Andrew654
28-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Just been told my s5 needs a new steering rack just out of warranty. I have bought a new one from audi and was going to get an Audi mechanic to fit it but hes let me down. So we are going to do it ourselves and wanted to know what sort of a job it is and if any special tools are needed. I am an ex mechanic and we will be doing it in a fully equiped workshop, but might think again if there are special tools required. Does anyone have any idea what sort of a job it is?

baylissboy
29-09-2010, 08:19 PM
No special tools required & it's not a difficult job. Don't forget to replace all mounting bolts & nuts etc & make sure to torque the bolts etc to correct setting. You'll need to carry out a 4 wheel alignment after it's fitted.

Andrew654
30-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks did the job today and no hassles as you said. But it hasn't cured the fault. Audi diagnosed the steering rack but it is obviously not that. Tha fault is the assistance is cutting in and out, turn the wheel its fine then goes hard and stiff to turn then goes ok again. It did it when i first got it and i topped up the fluid then went right for 3 weeks then went again and is like that all the time now. Marinally better with the new rack.
This is becoming a nightmare now and very expensive... any ideas?

baylissboy
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I think there's a TPI for this issue, have you checked the UJ's on the column?