PDA

View Full Version : bora problems

richard f
28-09-2010, 04:12 PM
i have a 99 bora and it is burning oil.there is oil getting into the spark plugs.the car will start and drive grand but it wont stay ticking over on its own.any ideas please

richard f
28-09-2010, 04:44 PM
can any 1 help me with this please

zollaf
28-09-2010, 05:25 PM
wow, 32 minutes from post to bump, thats gotta be a record. i cant really help with this problem, but if it were my car, and i had this problem, i would also ask about it on this forum as well, as the folk on here can be really helpful. however, i would not put a vag related question in here. i may ask about my landrover, but not a vw bora, as that is a vag car. i would have a look around the forum and see if i couldn't find a more suitable section for my bora related question. maybe theres a section specific to boras and golfs, i don't know, but if there is, then thats where my bora question would go. i know theres a place for audi coupe questions, as i have asked about my own coupe in there, and got an answer. this old internet forum thingy can get very confusing, especially if you dont do computers , like me. too many passwords and having to get everything right. get something in the wrong place, or forget your password and it all goes wrong. do you know, i had to phone my bank today, as they have lost a cheque i paid in. after waiting in the automated queue, i was asked by a computer for my certain digits of my pass number. well its 3 years since i have phoned the bank, how the hell am i expected to remember a number for 3 years, as well as 25 other pass words for everything else.

Bratty
28-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Very Subtle Zollaf:D. 10/10.

But you know what Richards problem is!!?!!

Oil!!, Remove the oil and you will find that the idle will return to normal for a short while!

You have either an overpressure in the crankcase, your valve seals are worn or more likely your cylinder bores are Ficked (but obviously there are other possibilities!!?!! like someone has swapped your pistons for Avocaddos (unlikely but feasable?)

Dunk

zollaf
28-09-2010, 07:58 PM
subtle ? , don't know what you are on about. :D.

richard f
28-09-2010, 10:27 PM
i know im still trying 2 get the hang of this haha.@bratty i changed the plugs and about a month later the first plug and the last plug were soaking in oil.i cleaned them but it didnt do much of a difference

NickPicks
28-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Since you're new, and you might not have read the stickies, try posting in the Bora section (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178).

Make sure you supply as much information as possible. Model, year, engine code, symptoms, what you've tried so far.

The more information you supply, the more likely someone can help you. I'd suggest you tell us what engine code (3 digits on the sticker in the service book or in the spare wheel well), and how many miles it's done, how long it takes from cleaning the plugs to them being fouled. Whether it's just a problem at tickover, or all the time once they've got oily. If you've had a fault code read, what type of oil you're using and how long ago it was changed, and how much oil it's consuming.

If it starts and drives fine, then are you sure it's the oily plugs that are causing a problem at tickover? It might be another problem like the MAF or the coolant temp sensor, and the oily plugs is a coincidence.

The more info you provide, the more likely you'll get an answer.

And, have some patience, give it at least a day before bumping the "Anyone?" post. No-one gets paid to answer your questions, and we do have lives.

If you don't do any of this, we're likely to answer with "Someone may have inadvertantly fitted avocados instead of pistons", or "Change the oil for Asda's own brand 20W50"