PDA

View Full Version : A5 buying advice

deviruchi
28-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Back in 2008 my A4 1.8T died a horrible death. I loved that car, but in a moment of insanity, I went and bought an overpriced, underspecced 08 passat.

Now I want to get an A5 because they are quite simply the most beautful car on the road (for me!).

I've looked at second hand, and I've looked at brand new and apart from the obvious cost issues, I can't decide which is better.

For me, I'm also struggling to decide between the 2.0 and 3.0 (diesel, s-line or sport). I see the numbers, but have yet to test drive and wanted to get some gut feeling from you guys first before I am overwhelmed by the differences between my passat and even the 2.0l A5...

If you had a top 3 (or top 5) for the spec, what would you go for for furture sellability? (bearing in mind I'm not a millionaire!)

Oh, and one more (sorry), what sort of rates are audi offering on their PCP packages at the moment?

B Somerset
12-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I have just traded in my 2.0 TDI 140 A4 and bought a 2008 A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sport.
Firstly the old car sounded like a tractor as do a lot of 4 cylinder diesels. The new car doesn't even outwardly sound like a diesel, if anything it has a nice rumble on tickover.
If you compare power and sheer exceleration they are a world apart. The 3.0 TDI engine pulls like a train in any gear. You have the torque so you don't have to change down but this is combined with sheer excelleration when the turbo kicks in (nearly the exceleration of an Impreza Turbo without looking like a d~~k).
The interior quality is outstanding.
My only negative observation is that there is not a lot of space for passengers in the back if you are tall, but that's not where I sit.
Be carefull if you buy second hand, even from Audi. We looked at several on for top price @ the Audi dealer but they were awfull, scratched and dented on every pannel. The previous owners just didn't give a toss and had money to burn.

tlionhart
13-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Oh, and one more (sorry), what sort of rates are audi offering on their PCP packages at the moment?

if you go to: a5oc.com/forums

you'll find the latest threads regarding that. (a5 owners club) also where to find the best deal. Also you may find an a5 that is for sale on there (2nd hand) and been looked after. The owner prob changing it for an s5 or cabriolet.