PDA

View Full Version : Question TDI badging

kodkod.84
28-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Just a little question that I've been pondering since the car went in for the MOT.

Have Audi dropped the engine capacity designation from the TDIs as there was a shed load of new cars (A4/A6) on the forecourt with just TDI on the boot lid rather than the normal 2.0TDI/3.0TDI etc.

Is this another tick box option to 'half' debadge the car?

B8 TDI
28-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Audi have dropped the engine capacity on the TDI's

pitch3110
28-09-2010, 04:43 PM
How I understand it you can either have .....

1. Deletion of engine technology designation at rear
2. Deletion of model and engine technology designation at rear

I spec'd both to be removed but I was of the understanding that engine technology deletion ment both capacity and engine variant.

But could be wrong and they may well have dropped the capacity off their cars.

Will have a look in Robbo's when I am in the city tomorrow

Pitch

pitch3110
28-09-2010, 04:44 PM

I was way-laid during my post and beaten to it...

Pitch

onemanparty
28-09-2010, 06:21 PM

And Petrol

Just TDI or TFSI for all models now, only other badges allowed S & RS

mkc
28-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I was going to say its not just Diesel, we have a couple of A5s, A4s and TT in the car park now, all 60 reg, Those that have badges have TDI or TFSI on the right. It now appears that the engine size has vanished. Bigger letters tho but appears to take up about the same space.

kodkod.84
29-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Why is this so?

To stop enviro-mentalists beating up your car just cos it has a bigger engine than a 1.2?

Or so you can be more q-car off the lights against the boy racers?

B8 TDI
29-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm guessing it's just another cost cutting exercise.

mkc
30-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Could be cost saving but the letters are actually bigger so could use more materials! Who knows why, bizzare move

Kojak
02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I was told by my audi salesman that it's because the newer engines have stronger performance than older models.
Hence the lower capacity new engines doing a similar job to older larger capacity engines, the whole badge thing is becoming 'So what,who needs a badge'.

Kojak

Bratty
02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Could be that the marketing statistics dictate that most UK buyers are choosing to delete that designation, so they are just doing what the majority have already dictated.

I myself doudt that because AUDI UK (marketing) are so far behind the drag curve its painful!

Dunk

B8 TDI
02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I was told by my audi salesman that it's because the newer engines have stronger performance than older models.
Hence the lower capacity new engines doing a similar job to older larger capacity engines, the whole badge thing is becoming 'So what,who needs a badge'.

Kojak

Loosely translated, he has no clue, and just made up some ludicrous explanation.

Kojak
03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Loosely translated, he has no clue, and just made up some ludicrous explanation.

I saw his point, may be I haven't explained very well and yeah perhaps it was just his opinion.

spellsinger
03-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Seems most likely - or, it's Audi's way of following Mercedes and BMW - but without quite doing the same thing. It has been a few years since the number on the back of those marques has equated precisely to engine size.

What does bug me (Merc, BM) is when some "engine sizes" are "correct" and some aren't.

Mike