PDA

View Full Version : Audi UK launch winter wheel and tyre programme

robrob
27-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Despite the complete lack of marketing that Audi UK have undertaken, this is now available for a range of Audi vehicles in the UK.

My dealer shared the details with me last week. For an A4, the package is as follows: 4 x 17-inch five-arm Winter Alloys with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D tyres for £1120.00

The official blurb is:

Winter wheels and tyres – ideal for rain, low temperatures, ice and snow

• From temperatures below +7°C, winter tyres offer significant improvements in grip and braking. To achieve this, winter tyres are designed with different rubber compounds and tread patterns with countless ‘biting edges’
• As well as in snow, traction on wet and dry roads is dramatically improved, in temperatures below +7°C, because power is applied to the road more efficiently
• Reduced risk of aquaplaning – the greater proportion of ‘negative’ tread copes better with standing water
• Greater comfort – rubber compound designed to stay soft, smooth and quiet at lower temperatures
• Ideal companion to quattro four-wheel drive
• Simple – wheels and tyres are delivered complete, ready to fit to the car
• All tyres offered are from premium tyre manufacturers
• Outstanding quality and special painting processes ensure that our alloy wheels have maximum durability and protection against light, weather conditions and corrosion
• In the majority of cases, snow chains are available to accompany the winter wheels and tyres

People thinking about this should absolutely 100% check with their insurance company. I checked with mine. The AA, underwritten by Allianz would not insure me at all with the A4 17" wheel and tyre package. After explaining that the change would involve changing from 19" wheels to cheaper 17" wheels with safer tyres, it made no difference. They would not insure me, although they could broker a deal with someone else that would raise my insurance from £390 p.a. to almost £900.

I then checked with Audi's own insurance programme. I was disappointed to find that it was also underwritten by Allianz. However, a very helpful Audi Insurance person did the necessary investigations, liaised with Allianz, asked the right questions and I now have some very slightly cheaper insurance and the green light to change my wheels in Winter and change back in Spring.

Unlike BMW and Mercedes, Audi do not appear to be offering the winter "hotel" principle (common in Europe) whereby they also store the summer wheels and tyres for you after doing the changeover until they are changed back again in the Spring.

However, if you're interested, we have at last got an official, Audi UK sanctioned and dealer supported winter wheel and tyre option.

For those interested in the minutiae:

The winter alloys can be seen on page 6 here (link opens PDF):

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/PriceAndSpecGuides/AccessoriesGuides/a4-accessories-guide.pdf

The tyre size supplied is 225/50/17.

To calculate the rolling radius difference between your existing set up and the proposed winter set-up (which Allianz did with me for insurance purposes), use this website here:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

In my case, changing from 255/35/19 to 225/50/17 generates nearly identical overall rolling radius sizes. (only 4mm difference overall).

Finally, if you have the TPMS fitted, I believe the tyre/wheel combo has a different part number for ordering purposes.

Hope this helps anyone interested in safer winter driving or trips to the snowier/colder parts of Europe.

Bratty
28-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I am gobsmacked that both Allianz UK and AA, have taken this stance regarding "Winter Tyres" and increased Insurance premiums:confused:.

Why "gobsmacked"? Because Allianz is one of the bigger Insurance companies here in Germany (with over 20 million customers according to thier website) and the AA`s partner here is the ADAC, BOTH! of whom do not just advise the fitment of winter tyres but insist (strongly!! ie. if you have an accident and you have summer tyres fitted in winter with less than 6-7mm profile (ie. almost new) they will apportion blame on you as contributing to the accident, and if the police are involved you will get points on your licence and a fine for hindering traffic!).

I would write a letter to both the AA and Allianz UK to communicate with there partners in Europe for some genuine reccomondations on winter driving techniques and "suggested" rules/policies, because there is a V. strong smell off Bull-dung from BOTH orginisations on this topic. Also the Winter Tyre and wheel combos that are supplied and approved (TÜV Gutachten) for use For "YOUR" car (ie. there is a specific list that you can get printed at the dealership for your model and engine size etc.) by AUDI, and are considered standard fitment and can indeed be ordered as a normal option on the German AUDI site when speccing your car!!?!!

The premium increase just does not come accross as logical as they are asking you to take more risk:confused:.

Dunk

Bratty
28-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Have a look in your owners manual at page 272/273 and 274, it quite clearly states the acceptable size for winter tyres approved by AUDI.

Your insurance company is probably trying to class it as a MODIFICATION and applying the "Chav just come from Halfords with Calos Fandango´s on his Saxo" Rule. But it is not a modification and is in fact an approved factory fit therefore your Insurance Company (and the AA) are unfairly asking you to "Risk Your Life" and "all who travel in your car in winter".

Plus you would not be able to fit Snow-chains on 18 -19 inch wheels, which if you like ski-ing in Europe, would render your car unuseable/illeagal on the the many access roads to resorts where they are often compulsory.

Dunk

robrob
28-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Your insurance company is probably trying to class it as a MODIFICATION and applying the "Chav just come from Halfords with Calos Fandango´s on his Saxo" Rule.
Dunk

I agree with your posts Dunk. I think they have absolutely treated my request in the same way they would an 18 year old asking to bling up his first motor.

I explained a number of times what I was doing and if they understood the request. They said that they did. I asked specifically if Allianz understood that I was switching to lower value, smaller alloy wheels with safer tyres for winter driving on and using Audi's approved equipment. Again, they said they understood that. Baffling. I have to say that The AA were very helpful, but were simply never going to budge from Allianz's "advice".

I suspect that Allianz are so big and underwrite so many different schemes that simply going via another provider (Audi Insurance in this case) might generate different advice. It did in my case. It would have been rather embarrassing for Audi if they were pushing this winter wheel/tyre programme but their insurance scheme couldn't support it.

I am intending to write to The AA and point out the irony of them having a Winter Tyre safety section on their website which covers the whole of Europe's requirements but that interetsed parties should note they'll be unable to insure their cars via The AA should they choose to use the aforementioned winter tyres.

Bratty
28-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi robrob, the point i am trying to make is that AUDI have spent a few hours developing the A4 b8, and cosequently have had to do a bit of testing, the tyres that they sell are AUDI AG Factory approved your insurance company at best is making itself foolish (and in direct conflict with thier parent company Allianz.de) and are WRONG to argue! They are FACTORY APPROVED therefore the most stringent AAnal country in the world (Austria!) accepts that, please ask your dealership for the printout off TÜV Approved fitments for your Model! Your insurance company does not need to be informed that you are driving on them because they are OEM fitment:

Dunk

robrob
28-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I see what you're saying Dunk.

That said, imagine trying to have that conversation with them after you've had an accident and are trying to make a claim.....

Bratty
28-09-2010, 06:45 PM
But That my Point robrob! The insurance company cannot say that you have not complied with the factory requirements as long as you have AUDI specified (for your model and engine size) OEM fitted wheels, there can be no issue!

Dunk

robrob
28-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I understand your point Dunk!

What I am saying is that I am not prepared to have a discussion with an insurance company after the event on the basis that I have Audi OEM wheels fitted that differ from the ones it was supplied with, and I'm alternating between the two wheel sets.

Whether I should need to do it or not, I want an insurance company and underwriter who know about what I am doing and are happy about it. They may be wrong to argue, but frankly, it's easier to switch to someone who doesn't argue in the first place.

Anyone who is happy to assume that their insurance companies won't care or check what tyres their car shipped with compared to the ones they are wearing when they crash (OEM or not), or is prepared to convince them they are wrong if they deny a claim, is free to do so.

Bratty
28-09-2010, 08:06 PM
robrob, i understand fully your concern! But it is unfounded

Totally unfounded!! OEM is OEM, FACT!! Not for robrob! but for all other people who want to drive safely this winter! It is perfectly acceptable to drive with manufactures reccomended tyres and wheels fitted.

Talk to the AUDI helpline.

But for goodness sake realise how stupid it is, NOT to maximise your safety margin.

DUNK

robrob
28-09-2010, 08:34 PM
This is going round in circles Dunk.

I have no concerns. I have said twice already that I switched immediately to Audi Insurance who are happy for me to do this and I have saved myself money.

I have ordered the winter wheels and tyres from Audi.

As I mentioned above, everyone else is free to change wheel and tyres at will if they wish, and to inform their insurance companies if they wish to or not.

Bratty
29-09-2010, 07:22 AM
I respect your situation is resolved. Your choice to use winter tyres for your car is admirable as it certainly is not cheap! And at the end of the day you have given yourself and your family a slight margin of safety:beerchug:.

What I would like to prevent is any member who reads this thread to think that if they decided to take responsibility to choose an OEM winter tyre and wheel combo that they would incur an insurance premium hike (and subsequently be put off the idea). If I were to be put in the situation that you found yourself with an insurance company, I would quite simply produce the European Certificate of Conformity that should accompany your car at purchase which states quite catagorically what tyres can be fitted to comply with the Certification (strangely mine did not have 18 inch or 19 inch wheels on it, which is wierd cause it came from the factory with 18 inch wheels on it:confused:). In Germany the V5 style doc states the info from the C of C including winter wheel info any other combos must be proved and written in! Bloody Germans ;).

Dunk

Andrew654
29-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Bit off topic but does anyone know the website address to download official Audi technical info?

jakerade
20-10-2010, 07:52 AM
It would have been rather embarrassing for Audi if they were pushing this winter wheel/tyre programme but their insurance scheme couldn't support it.

It wouldnt be the first time they have been embarrassed! Anyone who has an audi service agreement with tyres will know that the Audi dealers are not allowed to supply/fit tyres which seems completely bonkers to me!

scoobmw
20-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Oh, and another Audi classic - called Edinburgh Audi - they said they first knew about it on the 23rd Sept, and the offer closed on the 24th Sept.
So you can't order them anyway unless you got an order in by 24/9/10 is what I'm being told.

Dr Mcr
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I have been thinking about putting winter tyres on my late 2009 A4 Avant SE 143 Tdi Exec.

Does this seem like a sensible plan - I've never fitted snow tyres before so I have no idea if the width makes a huge difference? :1zhelp:

I live on the edge of the Peak district and the car became unusable in the snow last year, hence the question.

I was looking to buy the Audi dealer fiitted winter alloys with winter tyres, but then it dawned on me that I have 245/17's on my car. Is it daft to pay £700 for an extra set of alloys that are just 8% narrower, and exactly the same wheel diameter as the ones I have? If I had 18/19/20" rims, I guess the answer would be different.

The current Continental tyres have done 26k miles, and the fronts will need replacing in about the next 2k miles. The backs probably have another 5 to 8k miles left in them (I do a lot of constant speed motorway driving).

I think what I will do is put 245/17's Winter tyres on all corners, using the current rims. I'll also ask for the rear 2 tyres back, storing them in the garage until next spring. I don't think the front tyres owe me anything really, but I should be able to squeeze a few more months out of the rears next spring and summer!

Please do share your thoughts on just fitting wider winter tyres to the rims I have. :beerchug:

Many thanks in advance.

canary
10-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I've just ordered a set of Audi wheels fitted with winter tyres for my A4 Avant which has 19inch wheels and paid £1120 in advance.
Curiously the description on the invoice shows 2 off W8K0 073 017 H8 Z8 and 2 off W8K0 073 018 H8 Z8. The guy at the Audi dealer who ordered them said that's what the "system" quoted.
Does anyone know if this looks correct as I'm a bit worried that the 017 means 17inch and the 018 means 18 inch which can't be right?

scoobmw
10-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't think that's a problem.
The part no's given for the 17's are listed as two different part numbers on the data sheet. No idea why but they are.
The majority of the Winter wheelsets have two part numbers listed for each vehicle. For example the partunmbers are given as
8T0073017B1H7
8T0073018B1H7
for an RS5 on 19" wheels, so the 17/18 thing is coincidence if that puts your mind at rest.

In short, I think you're fine.

certacito
18-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Just wanted to let people know that this deal is still on as I ordered mine yesterday from Stirling Audi.

Be warned though that I have been advised it may take up to 5 weeks for delivery so if your thinking about it at all then get your order in quick so they arrive before the Spring!!

robrob
30-11-2010, 10:19 PM
So, anyone who ordered got an ETA yet?

canary
01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Got my winter wheels fitted yesterday - great service from Watford Audi!

certacito
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Got my winter wheels fitted yesterday - great service from Watford Audi!

Hi,

Do you have enough snow to notice any improvement?

I ordered mine from Stirling Audi a couple of weeks ago and really need them with the amount of snow we have.

What tyres did you get, the Dunlop 3D's?

canary
01-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Yes I've got the Dunlop 3D WINTER SPORT 225/50R 17 98H, I ordered mine on 21 Oct, they said there was a 5 week wait then

canary
01-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I live in a close that hasn't been gritted and I've noticed a big improvement in grip over my 255/35Z 19s

certacito
01-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes I've got the Dunlop 3D WINTER SPORT 225/50R 17 98H, I ordered mine on 21 Oct, they said there was a 5 week wait then

Thanks for the info. I ordered mine on the 16th of Oct and was told upto 5 weeks for delivery.

I should have known that would be up to 5 weeks Audi time so closer to 6weeks.

wj209980
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I got my new A4 S Line with 18" alloys a couple of weeks back.

We live in a cul-de-sac, so no gritter.

The incline up my street? Probably something like 0.5%.

Does any other car in my street have a problem? No.

Does everybody in the street have their faces pressed up against their windows watching me go back and forth, back and forth, trying to get up the street? Yes.

I cannot believe how poor the grip is.

Problem is, it's a company car - there is no way they'd shell out for the Winter tyres. I'm just stuck with my car on the drive :-(

scoobmw
02-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Mine haven't arrived yet, but in the meantime I'm V Impressed with the handling and power delivery from the 3.0TDi with 19"/255's. We've got one particularly steep hill here with a 90 degree at the bottom so no run up. It only stopped me once. Reversed a couple of yards to straighten the front wheels, then from a standing start up we went. V impressed. No tarmac visible at all. BMWs aren't moving, in fact nothing else is moving, but the 3.0 A4 is :-)
Could be the power delivery of Turbo Diesel allied to the Quattro and ESR etc. But it's simply better than anything I've previously driven, including a pile of Subaru Impreza's.
When the snow tyres arrive and get fitted it's just gonna be magnificent i reckon.

wj209980
02-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Mine haven't arrived yet, but in the meantime I'm V Impressed with the handling and power delivery from the 3.0TDi with 19"/255's. We've got one particularly steep hill here with a 90 degree at the bottom so no run up. It only stopped me once. Reversed a couple of yards to straighten the front wheels, then from a standing start up we went. V impressed. No tarmac visible at all. BMWs aren't moving, in fact nothing else is moving, but the 3.0 A4 is :-)
Could be the power delivery of Turbo Diesel allied to the Quattro and ESR etc. But it's simply better than anything I've previously driven, including a pile of Subaru Impreza's.
When the snow tyres arrive and get fitted it's just gonna be magnificent i reckon.

That doesn't make me feel any better lol! :D

certacito
06-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Anyone else taken delivery of the Audi winter wheel & tyre package yet?

I'm interested in finding out what the promised "up to 5 weeks" actually means in real terms as I could really do with them at the moment.

I should have ordered them when the OP frst started this thread.

vwawudi
06-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Anyone else taken delivery of the Audi winter wheel & tyre package yet?

I'm interested in finding out what the promised "up to 5 weeks" actually means in real terms as I could really do with them at the moment.

I should have ordered them when the OP frst started this thread.

I'm redoubling my efforts to source tyres elsewhere. Just been to the dealer and still quoting at least 5 weeks wait for the alloy and tyre package :aargh4:. That and the £1,120 price tag :1zhelp:.

I've always wanted an Audi, just wish everything to do with four rings wasn't so b****y expensive. :(

certacito
06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm redoubling my efforts to source tyres elsewhere. Just been to the dealer and still quoting at least 5 weeks wait for the alloy and tyre package :aargh4:. That and the £1,120 price tag :1zhelp:.

I've always wanted an Audi, just wish everything to do with four rings wasn't so b****y expensive. :(

I totally agree that the Audi 'deal' is quite expensive but it does mean less hassle with getting the right size wheels/ET etc that's if you can find any wheels/tyres now the weather is here.

It also helps with insurance as Audi Insurance have accepted that they are OK with fitting the Audi approved package.

Canary, did Audi supply the storage bags along with the wheels or is that another extra? I see their on EKTA a an accessory

I don't suppose they offered to fit them for free either, not a big issue for me as I have a garage/workshop at work but it would be nice if they did so I get the benefit on the drive home :D

Bratty
06-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I have just returned from my local dealership in Germany and I am amazed at the price of there Winter tyre and wheels on offer (they have sets all over the showroom).

Example:-

TYRES ONLY!
Audi A4 (Typ 8K) 225/55 R16 95H, Bridgestone Blizzak LM 30
EACH:-€115 (97.46 GBP approx).

COMPLETE WHEEL/TYRE!
Alloy 5-arm-design for Audi A4 (Typ 8K) 7JX16 with 225/55 R16 winter tyres.
EACH:-€285 (241.53 GBP approx).

I think that is pretty reasonable considering it is a bad exchange rate at the moment (1.18 €/GBP).

You have to take into cosideration postage to the UK (in AUDI UK price) but its not that much!!

Dunk

certacito
06-12-2010, 05:20 PM
I have just returned from my local dealership in Germany and I am amazed at the price of there Winter tyre and wheels on offer (they have sets all over the showroom).

Example:-

TYRES ONLY!
Audi A4 (Typ 8K) 225/55 R16 95H, Bridgestone Blizzak LM 30
EACH:-€115 (97.46 GBP approx).

COMPLETE WHEEL/TYRE!
Alloy 5-arm-design for Audi A4 (Typ 8K) 7JX16 with 225/55 R16 winter tyres.
EACH:-€285 (241.53 GBP approx).

I think that is pretty reasonable considering it is a bad exchange rate at the moment (1.18 €/GBP).

You have to take into cosideration postage to the UK (in AUDI UK price) but its not that much!!

Dunk

That's not too far from the UK price given that the DE price you saw is for 16" @ £966 and UK are charging £1120 for 17".

I'll give you a fiver towards fuel if you pop over with a set from stock, Scotlands lovely at this time of year and the Edinburgh Christmas Market knocks spots of Koln :D

I won't even ask what you were doing in the Audi dealership.

theskyfox
06-12-2010, 05:51 PM
This sounds really reasonable! Will definately look into it :)

Bratty
06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
ceratcito, if your wheels have not arrived after Christmas, I will wrap a set up and get my Mother and Sister to take two each as handluggage on the airplane home to Glasgow (sure FLYBE would love to see four inflated wheels/tyres being shoved into the overhead lockers!);).

Dunk

simon2004
06-12-2010, 08:25 PM
to be fare i think a lot of us on here can get away with just the winter tyers really dont see the point in buying new wheels as well. if its the salt doing your wheels in it would still be cheeper to just buy tyers and then when the weather picks up have your wheels refurbed for around 200 ish

certacito
06-12-2010, 08:51 PM
to be fare i think a lot of us on here can get away with just the winter tyers really dont see the point in buying new wheels as well. if its the salt doing your wheels in it would still be cheeper to just buy tyers and then when the weather picks up have your wheels refurbed for around 200 ish

I have the 19" wheels with 255 tyres so smaller wheels though not a necessity were a safer bet for me. 19" winter tyres are not that cheap or readily available and as has been mentioned , the wider the tyre the poorer the grip.

It will also save me the trouble of changing the tyres twice a year and the additional costs & inconvenience associated with this.

canary
06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
The price included the Audi storage bags and fitting the pre balanced wheels

certacito
06-12-2010, 10:06 PM
The price included the Audi storage bags and fitting the pre balanced wheels

Almost makes it a bargain ;)

Seriously though that does make it a wee bit better value and will make life easier when I go to collect them.

simon2004
08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
dont get me wrong i see your point but to pay £1100 on a set of wheels you would run for what 4mths seems alot to me if you have 19" wheels yes you would be better off with a set of 16" or 17" in the snow id be looking at a set of secondhand ones for about £200 ish then just the price of the tyers ie 205/55/16 are good on all a4s so around a total of £600 max has to be better than 1100 i have 17" on as it is so would just change tyers to winter ones.

certacito
08-12-2010, 06:36 PM
dont get me wrong i see your point but to pay £1100 on a set of wheels you would run for what 4mths seems alot to me if you have 19" wheels yes you would be better off with a set of 16" or 17" in the snow id be looking at a set of secondhand ones for about £200 ish then just the price of the tyers ie 205/55/16 are good on all a4s so around a total of £600 max has to be better than 1100 i have 17" on as it is so would just change tyers to winter ones.

All true (though 205/55/16 are not authorised for my A4) , however I could also have bought a second hand Audi or even cheaper a Seat Exeo and not paid Audi prices for a new privately owned A4.

I'm happy wth my decision of genuine Audi approved parts and much more importantly should I or some other eejit prang my car in this inclement weather I know that I will not have to convince my insurers/underwritters that second hand wheels off eBay are comparable with Audi approved parts.

I've not pushed the Audi Package on anyone else or even been naive enough myself to think I'm getting any sort of a bargain.

I applaud anyone who makes the effort to put winter tyres on their car regardless of where they source them, sadly the insurance companies are taking a little bit longer to see sense.

simon2004
08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
first off i was not having a pop at you i was just putting my side over as for ebay i did not mean you or any one should buy cheapos and id not put them on mine evan though iv not owned it from new i always use OEM parts.

certacito
09-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Just received a call from Stirling Audi infoming me that my wheels and tyres have arrived, that's been under 3 weeks. For once I'm pleasantly surprsed by Audi delivery times v's promised delivery times.

Heading through to get them fitted on Saturday making the most of the thaw, after Saturday Mother Nature can do her worst.

Bratty
09-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Winter Tyres do not make you invincible!! But a GOOD quality set give you the benefit of the doubt! DO NOT KNOCK IT TILL YOU HAVE TRIED IT.

Glad you have got your winter wheels certacito, what tyres did they fit?

Dunk

certacito
09-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Winter Tyres do not make you invincible!! But a GOOD quality set give you the benefit of the doubt! DO NOT KNOCK IT TILL YOU HAVE TRIED IT.

Glad you have got your winter wheels certacito, what tyres did they fit?

Dunk

Pick them up on Saturday but it's Dunlop Winter Sport 3d they have fitted.

Been using my wifes wee Fiesta for the last week as we've had it hard over here.

Her car runs great in the snow compared to my A4. It's so good at giving traction that I can't convince her to get winter tyres for her car to improve her stopping distance.

If my new tyres give me traction to get out my drive or get away from a standing start to a lofty 10mph in our current conditions then it will be worth it.

I just needed the grip to get onto the main road but it will be nice to know I have added stoppping power compared to the summer tyres.

Bratty
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I bought Dunlop 3D tyres the other week and even though mine are stupidly wide (225/45 R17 Front and 245/40 R17 Back) they give masses of traction. Even hill starts in deep snow does not faze them!

I would definetely reccomend them (but not the price;)) :beerchug:.

Dunk

vwawudi
11-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Guys, is a tyre with DOT 2007 a good buy? Not too old? Thanks.