PDA

View Full Version : how the handbrake works !

carl s
15-06-2007, 09:59 PM
It suddenly dawned on me today whay so many people were having problems getting used to the electronic handbrake compared to myself...

I noticed today that the handbrake will only dissengage if the accelerator is pressed as well as the clutch. Previously I've not noticed the need for the accelerator as a pre-requisite for the handbrake to dissengage.

I have a 2.0fsi car whereas most people here seem to be TDI drivers, what difference does this make? the torque of the TDI means that a lot of people lift up the clutch with little or no accelerator to move away from standstill when parked.

So it seems that in order to remove the handbrake automatically you need to have;

- Seatbelt on
- all doors shut
- at least some accelerator is used.

Quatrelle
15-06-2007, 10:48 PM
....and put the clutch right out, as mentioned in the other threads. My TDI would probably stall if I tried pulling away on tickover (seems to have a very light flywheel compared to my Laguna) and it's not the usual way to move off of course. Also, there is probably no more torque at 800 rpm with a TDI than with a petrol car. It seems to be a problem for some people how little torque there actually is with the TDI at very low revs. I'll try it again tomorrow.

carl s
16-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I guess the real reason for my posting was the fact that I was surprised that some accelerator pedal travel was needed to dissengage the handbrake !

Quatrelle
16-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Yep, I messed about with it this morning, and it needs just the lightest pressure to work - doesn't do anything on idle. I suppose it works on the principle that if you aren't pressing the accelerator pedal you don't want to go anywhere!

John

iaint
18-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I disagree on this one I'm afraid. When I first got my Passat I experimented on my drive (which is on a slope) to see just where in the clutch travel the handbrake disengaged.

I can say that mine is definitely linked just to the clutch and the car will start to roll forward before the clutch bites and without any press of the accelerator.

Quatrelle
18-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Were you in gear? What you are saying in effect is that just pressing the clutch disengages the brake. I'll try it all again tomorrow, but I'm guessing you have a problem there - most people think they have a problem getting it to release! Yours sounds downright dangerous.

iaint
19-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Were you in gear? What you are saying in effect is that just pressing the clutch disengages the brake. I'll try it all again tomorrow, but I'm guessing you have a problem there - most people think they have a problem getting it to release! Yours sounds downright dangerous.

No, I don't think I've made it clear how my release mechanism works. It doesn't release when I press the clutch down, it's when I raise it whilst in gear that it releases.

However having said that, I tried again last night and I stand corrected. But there seems to a slight difference in how the handbrake and the auto hold release themselves and this has led to my comments above. I only actually use my handbrake when parking up at the end of a journey and hence only use the auto release when setting off for the first time. All other times I use the auto hold to prevent the car from rolling. The auto hold option, unlike the handbrake that mechanically holds the car and you can definitely hear it engage/disengage, simply seems to keep the footbrake on while stopped.

To release the auto hold brake, I need to have the car in gear and as I raise my clutch the footbrake realeases just before the clutch bites. It does this without any press of the accelerator and when it releases the car will roll down my drive. As I made a definite effort to prove this last night, I can confirm this to be 100% the case.

To release the handbrake, again I have car in gear but simply raising the clutch (past what I assume is the same sensor the auto hold brake uses), the handbrake won't release unless I press the accelerator, although it only needs a very slight touch.

If anything I'm now more confused than before as to why there are two different brake release mechanisms, which probably use the same sensor to determine clutch travel, and one needs an input from the accelerator and one doesn't.

Quatrelle
19-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Yes, I think we were talking at slightly cross purposes. I don't have autohold on mine so am not familiar with it. Not being funny, but have you read the driver's manual thoroughly on this? It still sounds a bit dodgy to me if the second you put your foot on the clutch to engage a gear it rolls away, and well worth a query at your local VW dealer.

John

iaint
19-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Yes, I think we were talking at slightly cross purposes. I don't have autohold on mine so am not familiar with it. Not being funny, but have you read the driver's manual thoroughly on this? It still sounds a bit dodgy to me if the second you put your foot on the clutch to engage a gear it rolls away, and well worth a query at your local VW dealer.

John

It's not rolling away when I put my foot on the clutch. I press the clutch to the floor, select 1st and as I raise the clutch to set off it releases the brakes just before the bite point.

I hope this clears it up, sorry for any confusion
Iain

Quatrelle
19-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Just had a ride in the latest Picasso - exactly the same handbrake, same principle. Imagine if it didn't release until you put your foot hard on the accelerator, you'd be off down the road like a rocket!

One day all cars will have one....
John

thatch
20-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Auto Hold??

What is auto hold? Do I need to RTFM?

Is it fitted to all Passats, or is it an optional extra?

How do you activate it (if fitted)?

I tend to use the button, but living in a relatively flat area the case of roll back does not really affect me!

Any answers to the above will be gratefully received!

iaint
20-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Auto hold is fitted as standard to all automatics but is only an option on manual Passts. I bought my car as an ex-demo vehicle so didn't know what auto hold was until I had it and I know think it is the best feature of my car. I can't believe it isn't fitted as standard to all Passats, especially as it was only a £35 option at the time (I think it's about £50 if you specify it now).

It is something you need to switch on manually every time you start the car using a switch next to the gear lever. If you haven't got a switch marked auto hold down there just below the ESP off button, then you don't have it fitted to your car.

When it is switched on, it works by keeping the footbrake applied after you have come to a standstill so you can take your foot off the brake pedal without rolling and it releases as soon as you raise your clutch to set off (as long as the car is in gear, if it's in neutral you can raise your clutch and the brake remains on). It removes the need to ever use your electronic handbrake except when parking the car up at the end of a journey and I personally would not buy another Passat without it.

Cheers
Iain

thatch
20-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Ahhh not got it then, thanks for the prompt response.

carl s
21-06-2007, 03:27 PM
I had a Subaru loan car for a couple of weeks with auto-hold on it. I was quite impressed with how useful it was.

jc2402
17-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Had my 06 passat tdi estate for a couple of months now & this thread is the first time I"ve actually understood my handbrake with auto hold,

I"ve had a couple of occasions where the handbrake will JUST NOT RELEASE,even though the doors & seatbelt were correct, the first time i stalled it trying to force it to release & the second i did it manually as i was on a really steep hill with traffic close behind in heavy rain,(Its fun holdin a car on tickover while you depress the brake pedal) I had it in at the dealers & was told it must be my opperation of it!!! anyhow fingers crossed its not happened in 3 weeeks

Un-related but equally annoying does anyone know how to disable the seatbelt warning sensor??? the salesguy said it was possible,until I"d payed then told me they wouldn"t be involved in dissabling it......

I do a lot of stop-start work & its a real pain,infact its so bad I"m considering swapping it for something less "full of technology"

Quatrelle
17-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Presumably you want to drive without the seatbelt on? If so, that's your choice, your fine and points and possibly your funeral.

However, in answer to your question, can't you just do the belt up before you get in the seat and 'sit' on it? Shouldn't be that uncomfortable over a short distance.....

carl s
18-07-2007, 09:05 AM
True, a few taxi drivers seem to do this in Volvo's I've noticed...

jc2402
18-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Can"t believe I never thought of that thanks folks !!!,I sometimes spend more time doing the belt up than driving to the next call....Some of these housing estates go on for ever!!

Always belted up on the main roads however........seems like the police only need an excuse to stop you these days!!!!!!!!!!