PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 TDI engine maintenance

pianist4Him
26-09-2010, 10:11 PM
hello everyone,

I'm a really new member of VW community, hence first thing I'd like to greet you all and say nice to be part of such lovely community.
I recentely bought a VW Passat registered in Sept. 04 the 1.9 TDI, 130 HorsePower engine with tiptronic transmission - unfortunately only 5 speeds layers at that time.

First, I'd like to inform that I'm a really newbie in diesel engines and much more in VW. I'm looking for from first steps guidance in best practices on how to maintain in the best conditions a car like mine and more an 1.9 TDI engine. Any information would be helpful, no matter how natural or simple it may look to you guys, it's definitely going to be helpful to me and much appreciated.

Things like: how often the cambelt has to be changed - (mine for instance has it changed at 44,000 miles already), when would be the best to change this one again - at 88,000 miles?
What shampoos are you using to wash the car - what's best practices for this model and brand car? Are you guys using any shampoos on the market which has was added as well? Do you prepare the cars for winter - taking it to a VW dealer to have it waxed it underneath?
What about the longlife oil changing frequency? For instance, according to the car manual, they recommend to use only VW 506 01 standard Oil, or equivalent. I'm looking for this type of oil for more than 3 months, I couldn't find it. I was able to find the 505 - but this for no longlife oil engines.
Do you guys do the exchange of the oil by yourself, or you take the car into a VW service to do that. How do you know what type of oil has been placed in your engine at the exchange? I'd like to be able to do the oil exchange by myself. Is the Service going to cost me less if I tell them that the oil is changed and I'd like for them not to change it again? What about the filters used, I assume you need some keys set to change the filters, correct? What other consumable filters require changing?
I've seen the in manual that they talk about - don't use any other oil for your engine if your car has an Unit Injector, how do I know what my engine has? Could you guys explain what is the difference between the cars that have an unit injector and other who don't have or have more than one?

As you guys can see, I'm really really blank and complete 0 at this type of car - I used to have a really different project engine in petrol - from probably 1965 as project - and I learnt that pretty well - sound, maintenance and others, but I'm completely new to VW - much more now a diesel one.

Thank you all for your replies. This is highly appreciated. :)
Regards, pianist4Him.

phil miller
26-09-2010, 10:35 PM
hello mate welcome to the site, VW ownership and PD engine ownership, now as for oil changes if you are doing it yourself BUY the oil from a VW dealer so you get the right stuff, also IMHO the longlife service plan is a bad idea, i change the oil and filter on mine every 9/10,000 miles without fail, due to the fact it will help lookafter the engine, some people will disagree on this point but i think most of the problems the PD engine has is down to the oil being changed after 20,000 miles so i do mine at 10, to try and help it last,

Cambelt, some say 60,000 some will say 80,000, i always recommend replacement every 60,000 miles or 5 yrs and when its changed fit the complete kit and a water pump, i ALWAYS fit genuine kits

There is more but this is a biggie THAT you need to do, have a look around your battery, they have a massive problem in that the drain is under the battery and it gets blocked with crap, water collects and raises and then leaks into the car under the carpet, your CCM (comfort control modual) and auto box ECU is under the carpet so it is a good idea to make sure the drain is clear on a regular basis, if you use the search button and type in passat battery drain you will find 100s of threads covering this

one last thing always use genuine filters, oil, air, fuel and pollen, they may cost afew quid more but its worth it for piece of mind

hope this helps mate, enjoy your new car bud :beerchug:

pianist4Him
10-10-2010, 08:16 PM
hello mate welcome to the site, VW ownership and PD engine ownership, now as for oil changes if you are doing it yourself BUY the oil from a VW dealer so you get the right stuff, also IMHO the longlife service plan is a bad idea, i change the oil and filter on mine every 9/10,000 miles without fail, due to the fact it will help lookafter the engine, some people will disagree on this point but i think most of the problems the PD engine has is down to the oil being changed after 20,000 miles so i do mine at 10, to try and help it last,

Cambelt, some say 60,000 some will say 80,000, i always recommend replacement every 60,000 miles or 5 yrs and when its changed fit the complete kit and a water pump, i ALWAYS fit genuine kits

There is more but this is a biggie THAT you need to do, have a look around your battery, they have a massive problem in that the drain is under the battery and it gets blocked with crap, water collects and raises and then leaks into the car under the carpet, your CCM (comfort control modual) and auto box ECU is under the carpet so it is a good idea to make sure the drain is clear on a regular basis, if you use the search button and type in passat battery drain you will find 100s of threads covering this

one last thing always use genuine filters, oil, air, fuel and pollen, they may cost afew quid more but its worth it for piece of mind

hope this helps mate, enjoy your new car bud :beerchug:

Thank you Phil,

I got another issue now :( Exhausting/Egress gas brought into the pulpit

Recently, my car - a Passat 2004 (1.9 TDI 130 Hours Power) has started to take the Exhausting gas into the pulpit through the Klimatronic. If I switch the recycling button - to warm the air from the pulpit and bring it back - the issue doesn't occur - which is normal, as the air source is different and the pulpit air being clean, the Carbon Monoxide doesn't exist into the pulpit. As you've noticed probably, this is a temporary setting for klimatronic as it sets itself to normal - default value after a given time and starts taking the air from the engine compartment - bringing in again the Exhausting/Egress gas into the cabin. I opened the bonnet and the same gas/smell can be easily sensed when you open the bonnet. There must something wrong at exhausting system or path way.

Have any of you guys heard about anything similar?
Any ideas or help would be highly appreciated.

Secondly, Do you guys prepare the cars for winter - I'm referring to taking it to a VW dealer to have it waxed it underneath?
I would like to know more about the longlife oil: For instance, according to the car manual, they recommend to use only VW 506 01 standard Oil, or equivalent. I'm looking for this type of oil for more than 3 months, I couldn't find it. I was able to find the 505 - but this for no longlife oil engines. Have you guys certain trusted online stores who can sell the 506 01 std oil?

Thank you again for your replies.
Any ideas or opinion would be helpful.

Regards, PianistHim. :)

phil miller
10-10-2010, 08:29 PM
hi mate lets start with wax oyl, its not really needed as these cars dont rust like that to be fair, and if you do really want to wax it id get an indy garage to do it, as for oil go in to your local vw or audi dealer they will sell you the correct stuff, like i said if you want change it every 20,000 i choose every 9/10,000

the exhaust fumes coming inside the car could well be an exhaust gasket is leaking a little gas when cold, be a good idea to have it looked at bud

vwcabriolet1971
10-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I agree with Phil - change oil every 10,000 or yearly whichever comes first . Make sure its to spec 505.01. This spec should be on the oil container label. If not, don't use it. This oil is normally a 5W -40 oil, commonly called 'PD oil'

magic123
12-11-2010, 01:14 AM
I agree with Phil - change oil every 10,000 or yearly whichever comes first . Make sure its to spec 505.01. This spec should be on the oil container label. If not, don't use it. This oil is normally a 5W -40 oil, commonly called 'PD oil'

could you use 0/40W fully synth?

vwcabriolet1971
12-11-2010, 05:29 PM
You can use any oil as long as it has the spec number 505.01 on the container.
I don't think you will find your 0W-40 is approved for 505.01 application.

borabear
21-11-2010, 11:33 AM
could you use 0/40W fully synth?

Eeekkk!

Dont put 0/40w in whatever you do!! Far too thin and will damage the engine!

Personnelly, I change my oil every 6 - 8k as my PD130 has done 137k. I always use Quantum PD oil as it is what the dealers use, you can pick it up from GSF for around 22 quid and a filer should be around 6.

I'd find an indy dealer and ask them to plug your car in to do a fault code read, most will do this for a small fee (or free if they are really friendly :) )

Finally once you have settled in with your new car I'd consider getting it remapped - try the sponsors of this forum, Flash mapping. Not used the (yet) but they can offer a balanced map of economy and perforamce which should see a healthy gain on power and less trips to pump :D

Cheers
Rich