PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Power steering and auto gearbox problems.

MACHINEWOLF
26-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi I have recently purchased my 4th Audi 80, yet another gorgeous car! But! Alas, she is poorly, there are two problems.
First problem; the power steering pump started leaking from an O-ring seal under a circular plug situated on the top of the main pump body, next to one of the hose connection unions. I removed the plug which has a large Pozi-drive type screw head and found that the O-ring was split. My local Audi garage couldn’t identify the pump let alone the seal in question so I have managed to source a couple of O-rings of near identical size. I fitted the first one and all seemed ok, no leaks and smooth power steering. After about 30 miles of driving, smoke began to pour from under the bonnet and the (!) warning light began flashing, when I stopped and looked, the seal had blown again covering the engine in power steering fluid! ARGH!!!
I replaced the seal twice more but the same thing happened each time!
Has anyone else experienced such problems? Is there some thing wrong with the power steering system or is the pump shot?

Second problem; auto gearbox. She changes up through the gears smoothly except for 3rd - 4th, under slow - medium acceleration when she changes from 3rd to 4th it is not very smooth and the revs climb quickly and then drop again as 4th is engaged. Some times she will miss out 3rd altogether and go straight from 2nd to 4th? Also, under hard acceleration, for instance joining a motorway, she'll change into 3rd and doesn't seem to want to change into 4th. Eventually, she does change into 4th but either at very high revs or after a couple of miles of steady driving?
Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Regards, Tym.

Alan02
27-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Re: Power Steering, you really need to get the correct spec. `O` Ring as in my expreience, substituting it for something that `looks the same` never generally works!
Maybe try a hydraulic suppliers, or similar.
Only other thing if it still fails is the pressure relief valve in pump is faulty.

MACHINEWOLF
27-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Re: Power Steering, you really need to get the correct spec. `O` Ring as in my expreience, substituting it for something that `looks the same` never generally works!
Maybe try a hydraulic suppliers, or similar.
Only other thing if it still fails is the pressure relief valve in pump is faulty.
Thanks Alan, I measured the "original" O-ring with my Digital Callipers and I believe that the new O-rings I have tried are VERY close in CSA and Diameter. I know the "original" O-ring might not be the correct one but my local Audi Garage couldn't identify the correct pump so I don't think finding the original spec would be easy. Audi reckoned (without even seeing the car!) my engine was definitely an ABC but over the weekend I have read of another engine code - ABZ? My pump has 2 hydraulic connections plus another pipe which is connected via a jubilee clip? Again, I read that one type of pump used also gave brake assist? I suppose it could be an extra vacuum for the brake servo? I am trying to source another pump on-line for now, I did notice a fairly loud mechanical rattle coming from the area of the pump whilst I was running the engine up to temperature yesterday so I must surmise that the pump is US!?

Alan02
27-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, good luck with it all ! Keep us posted.

cookie7354
27-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Hello mate, i had the same problem and managed to source a new plug and o-ring from VAG Parts it cost me £1.74. it was part number 026145541 and you can get them on 01793 487700 or online.

all the best;)

Crasher
27-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Mr Wolf, which A80 do you have?

MACHINEWOLF
27-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I've been trawling through loads of stuff I found on the net, I've only owned the car for 5 weeks but found my power steering should have green Goo4000 fluid, the previous owner had put red ATF in it NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ATF makes the seals swell!
I found that these 'o' rings have given a few people trouble, the 'o' ring should be soaked over night in Goo4000 and then fitted with a generous smear of EP Grease and some how the plug must be tighened to 80Nm???
I've also found the correct size for the 'o' ring - 18x2N70. Also part number - 026 145 541 - is for the 'o' ring and cross head plug!
Well, I'll try these solutions first and fingers crossed the incorrect fluid hasn't caused any further damage!
It would seem that my pump is a "Tandem" pump which as well as power steering also gives hydraulic brake assist!
You live n learn eh?
Thanks to "audifans.net.

MACHINEWOLF
27-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks cookie, just found a thread on audifans.net with the same info.
Thanks everone, it's great to know there's people out there with knowledge/experience that love these fantastic cars too!

MACHINEWOLF
27-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Mr Wolf, which A80 do you have?
It's a 1995 Audi 80 2.6E, V6 petrol with auto gearbox.
Hope I've got a solution to the power steering problem, just the gearbox to sort out and she's tip top!

Crasher
27-09-2010, 09:23 PM
From Audi you can buy a full pump seal set under the part number 035 198 049 A and it costs about £18.

MACHINEWOLF
27-09-2010, 09:34 PM
From Audi you can buy a full pump seal set under the part number 035 198 049 A and it costs about £18.
Crasher, thanks for that, Now I have some possible solutions and part numbers to boot!
Thank you!